• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: independent GPU usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I've noticed Windows 10 processes using my GPU, I'm sure some of it is for managing the desktop GUI, but why would Search need it?

I've noted the following processes posting GPU usage figures (i.e. for GPU 0 - 3D):
Start,
Windows Shell Experience Host
Client Server Runtime Process
Desktop Window Manager
Search

Do all those processes actually NEED access to the GPU to do whatever the hell they're doing with it? Will these processes continue using my GPU even if I have a game loaded (so undermining the perf. of the game)? Could MS be doing cryto-mining using my GPU?

I've managed to get firefox to stop abusing my GPU, it doesn't need to jack my 1080ti up to 2000Mhz. when it's not being actively cooled.

It's incredible how many processes windows 10 loads up relative to say, windows XP Pro.

Search is the only process listed that you can safely disable. All the others are critical for windows operation. Yes, they will consume resources when you are in game as they are part of the OS, without them the OS won't run and neither will your game.

One of the reasons win10 has so many more processes than xp is due to win10 virtualizing/containerizing anything it can in separate processes to isolate them for security. That, and there is just a lot more functionality in win10 than xp so more processes would be expected

Search is the only process listed that you can safely disable. All the others are critical for windows operation. Yes, they will consume resources when you are in game as they are part of the OS, without them the OS won't run and neither will your game.

One of the reasons win10 has so many more processes than xp is due to win10 virtualizing/containerizing anything it can in separate processes to isolate them for security. That, and there is just a lot more functionality in win10 than xp so more processes would be expected

Windows Defender is probably the only additional functionality I value in Windows 10 over Windows XP Pro (and the additional memory address space), but I see your point about better security. What's the likelihood there are more backdoors into Windows 10 over Windows XP Pro though?

Back