• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best adware/spyware Removal Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xace

Me and aswell as many others have these stupid spyware and adware programs on our comps, constantly making popups and slowing our comp down. I'm looking for the best adware and spyware remover, that is Free.

I use Ad-Aware for adware scanning(similar to spyware, but does not transmit personally identifiable information, or at least the collector promises not to sell it. Instead, aggregated usage information is collected) in conjunction with Spybot - S&D for spyware (the stuff that does transmit personal info, resets your web browser, and so on) scanning. I would also reccomend using RegScrubXP for scanning and deletion of orphaned registry keys, and Pc Cleaner for scanning and deletion of orphaned DLL files. :)

a yes free is so nice but u can have a free trial 15days of this program on www.download.com go to the search and tiep in spy sweep then look for spy sweep (its not the first one on the list dam search dont work 100%)
i wana buy it its so nice and clean and good! o and for pop ups same deal but tiep in POP THIS and scroold down for it pop this is 100% free and i have it (only if i could crack the trial):(

YECHH!! don't download spysweep!!! to "pay for its shareware status" or some bull, it installed like 50 other adware programs - i've been trying to get rid of it all for days !!!

EDIT: it seemed like a nice program, except that all of teh other programs it installed used up my memory b4 it could complete a scan... (which I doubt would've actually gotten rid of all of that junk anyway)

Ad-Aware and Spybot are still my friends, though ;)

Last edited:
Spybot search&destroy has worked really well for me. I've read that if you use adaware after it will clean out you system real well.

I use adaware and Spybot. I've found that they each seem to catch some things the other misses and work together well to get it all. These are the ones they recomend the most on Tech Tv if that matters to you.

I pretty much use Spybot Exclusively. Adaware was basically top choice for a long time, and then Tech TV started noticing Spybot was catching some more stuff.

I guess your best bet is to use both, but sometimes Spybot thinks Adaware has spyware in it, so don't accidentally delete Adaware haha.

Spybot advanced mode lets you do A TON to keep your computer extremely safe from spyware.
Check out this link for instructions on how to update your hosts file, lock your home page, etc...
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261532
Third post will tell you what to do.

Definitely Adaware is the way to go. That and Spy Bot. I usally run Adaware first then run spybot to get left overs. They're both really great progs, and also don't forget to run the update in those progs so you get the latest spyware defs.

I put "spy sweeper 2" on a few computers to test it.

On one computer I ran Ad Aware then Spybot S&D first.After this "Spy seeper 2" found 5 programs and 57 entries.
note: this computer has NAV 2002

On another computer I ran Spy sweeper 2 first. Ad aware then found 2 cookies and Spybot found another 2 cookies.
note: this computer has NAV 2003

Neither computer has had any problems due to Spy Sweeper 2 and I just ran it straight out of the box. I was actually prepaired to tank both computers, but this did not happen.

On both computers Ad Aware and Spybot had all the available updates and because I was just testing Spy Sweeper 2 it was NOT updated even though updates are available! After the test Spy Sweeper 2 was uninstalled from both machines.

So based on this limited test I vote for Spy Sweeper 2.
P.S. I paid the retail price for it. So no it was not free.

def adaware+ spybot. Run adaware, then spybot, then adaware completley updated. Spybot can immunalize your machine. I scan now once a month and most times come up with 0 problems. As for popups, zone alarm kills those as well as blocks cookies.

If your an AOL person ZA probably wont work for blocking popups.

Thats just my 2 Cents

PestPatrol has always served me well, and has picked up stuff that the other progs here have missed. Using it along with ZA4 and an Anti-virus prog of your choice, it should keep your system free of all that rubbish.

GG

Penguin4x4 said:
I use Ad-Aware for adware scanning(similar to spyware, but does not transmit personally identifiable information, or at least the collector promises not to sell it. Instead, aggregated usage information is collected) in conjunction with Spybot - S&D for spyware (the stuff that does transmit personal info, resets your web browser, and so on) scanning.

^^^Exacly what I do, works good:D

Back