• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dvd-r+; Dvd-r-; Dvd-rw; ...which?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi,

R formats are write once-read many.
RW formats are write and read many times,

So choosing between R and RW depends on what you want to do.

Now, choosing between + and - depends on 'features' and cost :
- Older drives tend to support only '-' formats.
- '-' tends to be cheaper than '+'
- ... But '+' is more advanced technically, so that it can *generally* be written at faster speeds.

Hope this helps
Regards
FTC

If you're getting a DVD burner now I'd just get the most compatible type; one that burns both + and - formats.

However, I read that current burners can burn only single layer discs of 4.5Gb or so and that the more capable dual layer burners are just a few weeks away. It may be worth it to wait for one of those.

FIZZ3 said:
If you're getting a DVD burner now I'd just get the most compatible type; one that burns both + and - formats.

However, I read that current burners can burn only single layer discs of 4.5Gb or so and that the more capable dual layer burners are just a few weeks away. It may be worth it to wait for one of those.
Well, yes this is true but you should consider the cost and I have heard as with anything, the media will be costly and not in abundant supply either? I say just go for it and pick up a +/- now since they can be had for less than $100. on sale and write once media is cheap (under a buck per disc) and will drop quicker and further when they do introduce the larger formats. Which by the way are still competing for mainstream anyhow????Go For It!:D

hipster said:

Well, yes this is true but you should consider the cost and I have heard as with anything, the media will be costly and not in abundant supply either? I say just go for it and pick up a +/- now since they can be had for less than $100. on sale and write once media is cheap (under a buck per disc) and will drop quicker and further when they do introduce the larger formats. Which by the way are still competing for mainstream anyhow????Go For It!:D

It depends a bit on what you want with the device. For some purposes (like dual-layer disc copying) a dual-layer burner carries a Big advantage. Naturally, if you want one just for backing up your data archives then it doesn't matter so much.

ive got the Pioneer A06 and i love it. It does dual format both at 4X. I personally like burning DVD-R over DVD+R just becuase almost every DVD player reads -R. If you read any description of the differences in the blanks they say that -R is "professional use"

Back