• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modem Makes Hissing = No Connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Got this brand new Sager Laptop. We try to connect and it makes a loud hissing or screeching when it gets to almost the end in its dialing process.

All settings are good, OS is good, wire is good, plug in wall is good.

I'm figuring the modem might be hurt, but its brand new, never used.

Any ideas?

There are no error messages either, it just tries to connect forever.

Something's wrong with the negotiation, for some reason the modems can't agree on a speed.

Set it to 14.4k/s maximum connect speed in the modem's config. See if it will connect at that speed. If so, then try slowly increasing it until it won't connect.

Try updating your modem's driver with one from the manufacturer.

If it won't go higher than 14.4k/s, then your lines convert from analog <> digital too many times.

keep in mind I am online with my computer with same account, and phone line, just different computer/modem.

I will try drecreasing the max speed.

Foxie3a said:
keep in mind I am online with my computer with same account, and phone line, just different computer/modem.

I will try drecreasing the max speed.
Oh, so it only happens sometimes?

I would upgrade the driver. It may possibly be a bad modem at your ISP aswell (although unlikely)

I've tried connecting many times to no avail.

Brand new modem, drivers loaded at factory. NEver used laptop.

Its never worked, but I have my computer on the same dialup connection, and it works for me, not for the laptop though.( I disconnected to let him try it)

Sounds like a bad modem to me... but try at 14.4.. it may, for some reason, be getting caught up in a bad 56k negotiation... there is several different standards of 56k... maybe it's picky.

the modem is V90, my ISP is V92, could that be it?

Dad took laptop and went somewhere, so I can't play with it until tomorrow.

Most 56k modems support both of those standards, but you would need to specifically check yours to be sure.. it could also be a quirk of the modem-- it might support it, but it might not work for some reason.

Ok, I tried EVERY setting. Everything from the connection, to the specific modem. Even reinstalled the modem driver.

Took down the speed to nearly nothing, and to the max.

The same noise everytime, and it gets that noise RIGHT at the end, like a few seconds before I would expect it to connect.

My dad is going to email sager at work. Its really a shame if its broken, and its a brand new laptop that cost well over 2K.

If it's new, then it should have a warranty on parts/labor.. just contact who you bought it from, and see if they can do something about it, otherwise, contact the manufacturer

Baught it directly from Sager. And yes, its under warrenty, and they're going to have to give me a whole new motherboard now since its integrated.

UPDATE:

My dad didn't send it back. He said he'll live with it. He can run it on "SafeMode" at 28kb/s, but no more. That's the max it can connect at. Any ideas now?

We've tried many settings, all we can think of. Nothing helps.

Sounds like a manufacturing defect to me. Try calling the company's tech support, see what they recommend. If it is something they've seen before, I'm sure they'll tell you to bring it in (or better, tell you the solution), otherwise, if they don't know what's causing it, they'll probably tell you to bring it in anyway.

Is there anything on their website's knowledge base regarding this problem?

Sager doesn't even have a knowledge base.

And they said to send it back and they would replace it, the entire laptop for free. But that means he'd lose all his data, and he's too lazy he said.

I was just wondering if any of you knew of a common problem.

No, I don't know of any common problem, but others might.

In the mean time, you could buy a PCMCIA modem.

I hadn't thought about that. But I'm not going to do that. It's my dad's..and he is thinking about getting cable because of this. So why should I get him a PCMCIA modem when we might get cable. :)

Back when I was on peoplepc dialup, I had a HP pavilion with some cheap 56k internal modem. I had the same problems. It would go thru the do do do do dooo doooooo di da di da di sssshhhhhhhhhhhhh then it would go di da di da diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii... and it would keep going until I had to click disconnect. I talked to tech support and they instructed me to put in some kind of extra settings. I dont remember the exact one, but you might try playing around with each of them:

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/trouble2.asp

That sounds like my problem from what your saying...Thanks...and thanks for not talking about religion in this thread too. ;-)

Back