• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All purpose modem/router used with external router - problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I have the SMCD3GN modem, and everything is fine, insane speeds (up to 12MB/s or 100Mbps), and it works wireless fine too, but has absolutely NO range. I mean it's ridiculous, 10 feet away and it loses a bar, 30 feet and you get drops all the time. I had to buy the Alfa for my laptop in my solarium just to be able to connect, the top of the line N network card inside my laptop drops connection all the time, unless it's within 10 feet.

Now, I have the D-Link DIR-655, which I was using before I got this new modem from Rogers, and I know it's very fast and has huge range.

So, I tried to disable all gateway functions on my rogers modem/router, and use the dir-655. Oh man, the trouble.....

Where do I begin.

So, if I plug an ethernet cable from LAN1 on my rogers modem to my LAN1 on dir-655, I get great wired internet (by plugging any computer into LAN2 or 3 or 4 on the dir-655), and even get into the 192.168.0.1 screen of my dir-655, but nothing else will work, I cannot get any wireless signal, and the light is not on.

If I plug the ethernet cable from LAN1 on my modem to the INTERNET input on my dir-655, leaving all the LAN ports on my router open, I get the internet, but when I try to access 192.168.0.1 to set it up, nothing, it just sits there, cannot connect after a while it says NO CONNECTION.

I'm at a loss, I did everything, reset, hard reset, factory reset, whatever.

Is there a guide for this?

Where do I have to plug in the cable into the dir-655? I know when I disable the gateway functions on the rogers modem, I have to connect an ethernet cable from LAN1 to the DIR-655, but is it supposed to plug into the INTERNET port, or the LAN1 port? Once that is done, what then?

Like I said, wired internet works via the dir-655 no matter if I plug the ethernet cable form LAN1 on my modem to the INTERNET port or LAN1 port, and then from there another cable from LAN2 to my computer, either way wired works, but no wireless no matter what.

I'm sick of the poor wireless of my modem, I need to use my router, but am at my wits end. As usual, the Rogers techies are completely useless in this matter.

Why can I access my routers through 192.168.0.1 when connected to LAN1 but not when to INTERNET, that just strikes me as really weird. I don't know where to plug it in, but logic tells me INTERNET, although it works better when plugged into LAN1 (all of the above paragraph is talking about the ports on the dir-655, not the modem which is always LAN1, there is no other place to plug anything)

You have to set the Rogers as a modem-only device in order to connect it to the modem port (Internet). Then, you have to use the DIR-655 set-up utility instead of the Rogers'.

What do you want to set on the Rogers?

Umm.. when i connect to the "internet" port on the D-Link, nothing works right, and yes, I have shut off all rogers modem gateway options, so it's only a modem, nothing more. But still, it seems to work better when connected to the slot one of the d-link rather then internet.. weird.

Back