• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

budget cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFIsoldier

ok, i'm getting close to have enough money to up my whole system so my sis can have a decent comp to take with her to college...i am going to get a 2100+ tbred b in the near future and i know the the cooling i have now(stock amd hs/f) isn't near good enough for o/c'n....so i set out about 30-35 bucks for a heatsink, fan, and thermal paste...what do you guys suggest for that combo...if i have to go to the 40-45 buck rang i might be able to depending on how much money i spend on a vid-card

how about thermaltake volcano 12, 30 bucks shipped

i have 2 set up, thermalright alx 800+ 80 mm tornado+ arctic silver 5. another is thermaltake volcano 12, arctic silver 5. Right now the volcano is about 1 C higher than the alx 800 setup, but it has a control so you can bring it down, since you gonna live in a dorm and all, roomate wont like loud computer. ajump.com hhas the volcano 12 for 30 bucks ships
http://www.ajump.com/ajump/product.asp?pf_id=8840040&dept_id=3830

go for a thermalright, best damn fans out there. get some AS5, quiet or powerful fan depending on your choice.

how much is the alx-800 setup over all? fan, hs, and paste? i don't need adjustable cause sis is goin to gollege, not me..i get money and she gets my leftover comp and w/e i put in it

The ALX-800 is cheaper over at Jab-Tech. Here's a linky
If you wanted to put a 92mm fan on it you would have to get an adapter and jerry rig it.

i can't mount a tornado onto the alx? why not, the pic shows the wire mounts at the bottom of the fan, not the top(when mounted horizontally onto the heatsink)

just use the 80 mm tornado with the alx 800

i have it, and i remove the fan guard to reduce the noise and more air

AFIsoldier said:
waahahah...bump...waaahhaaha...nobody wants to help me

well if ur gonna be that pathetic :D i might as well help u

nope, the alx-800 only accepts 80x80x25 fans, the tornao is 80x80x38 so the best cooling for that size would be a TT SFII

lilman, why are you lying to me?! it does accept tornados, the mounts for the fan go on the bottom of the fan when it is mounted and the heatsink wouldn't even know if there was a 5mm thick fan or a 50mm thick fan! grr...you confuse me! tornado, as5, and alx here i come...YAY!!!!!

um.. i believe the fan mounting goes from the bottome of the heatsink to the top of the fan with wire stuff they give you...
anywho, some modifications never hurt ;)

no, the pic shows the wire mounting at the bottom of the fan, not the top...and i remember reading an article about the mounting somewhere..so the mounting position of the wire must be special..like me! :)

Back