• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should I upgrade or wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Posidon42

Ok for the last couple of months, I have been o/cing the AMD processors. I currently have two: one 2500+ running at 3200+ (2.2ghz, 200x11, 1.775V) and a 1700+ (2.4ghz, 200x12, 1.7v). Both are water cooled. Now I had a lot of fun putting these together but I am getting a little tired of having to worry about what the ambient temperature in my room is. Every time it is sunny outside (the computer room is on the top floor and faces the sunny side of the house) they start overheating. Not to mention how much of a pain it is to take them to LAN parties.

I need to get down to one main system as I believe my room can handle one o/c comptuer but not both of them. And I don't want to mess with modifying my wireless setup just so I can move one of the comptuers to a cooler room in the house.

Recently I have toyed with the idea of selling/trading both of my systems and buying one of these magical 2.4C processor setups.

Is this a wise decision or should I just sell one of the systems and live with the other one until the 64bit processors start getting more mainstream? I have a feeling that this may just have me spending more money away than I need to.

Your thoughts??

Wait. Right now I'm waiting for the same thing. I am about to start buying my case, hd, memory, and drives though.

I will wait for now also. Your rig is more than enough to run any games out there. Switching to a 2.4C (more expensive, plus you have to sell your 2500+ at a lost), you are not getting much more speed at all. If I want to swich, I will actually go with the Athlon64 3400. It has been proven that the Athlon64 3400+ is slightly faster than the FX51, whereas the FX51 is also already faster than the Pentium EE.

hrm... well it wasn't until I already put some of my stuff up for trade that I realized this was probably going to be true. Thanks for the inputs guys.

If you are desperate, get the Athlon64 3000+ and OC it to 3400+. Going to a P4 2.4c/2.6C/2.8C will get you a mere 10 % boost at most, which isn't worth your time.

Now if you think the Athlon64 is too costly for the modest performance improvement over a P4, you should wait until next year. Then you get better options.

Here, I got an Idea. Why dont you buy an Thermalright SP97 or an SLK900a. That way you wont worry about overheating and other watercooling issues (lan parties).

my .02c

well I already have one of the 9500 n/p cards that overclocks pretty well. Right now I don't have much time for gaming and that is why I was wanting to simplify my setup and get something that is more user friendly. But since I only go to LAN parties every couple of months, I really just need the computer to sit next to my desk, be quiet and fold. That is the main reason I went to water cooling. I got pretty good performance out of my SK-7 but with the TT smart fan2, it was just too loud for my liking.

I think I am going to wait, sell one of the computers and buy some parts for my car or something :)

buy a laptop that will solve the the transportation and some run cool so if you are woried about heat. that solves two problems. and may be a good option for you. just don't play games with the mouse pad or the little ball in the key pad you will loose every game.

hah. If I didn't play games that is exactly what I would do. I do have a laptop for schoolwork but it is TERRIBLE for anything else. It plays movies ok, but not the greatest. I only use it when I have to :)

ya they do have some very nice ones they are a little spendy but if you were considering selling yours you might come in range they have come along ways in recent times a p-4 sys gets a little hot but they rock you would need a controller and you could hook it to an external sorce for video some people like LCD and I don't

lol... you make me sick...

some of us are jealous of what you have now (and mind you you have 2 things that are NICE rigz)

and... you want to upgrade.. sick just sick... lol

I heard about the 939 supposedly being better than the 940s and the 754s but I was wondering... Why only the 512kb L2 Cache.... I mean they are implementing the 1mb on the A64s... Somehow I just dont understand the downgrade...

Will 939 truly be better with the smaller cache?

Wait man WAIT... you have another 2-3 years on that system...

drewmister said:
lol... you make me sick...

some of us are jealous of what you have now (and mind you you have 2 things that are NICE rigz)

and... you want to upgrade.. sick just sick... lol

I heard about the 939 supposedly being better than the 940s and the 754s but I was wondering... Why only the 512kb L2 Cache.... I mean they are implementing the 1mb on the A64s... Somehow I just dont understand the downgrade...

Will 939 truly be better with the smaller cache?

Wait man WAIT... you have another 2-3 years on that system...

I have to agree.

If you already went for trade then the next logical step is 3000 clock up to 3400 AMD 64

as far as the downgrade on the cache they don't use it anyway unless you are running a major server. I think they proved with the Barton Core 512 Cache. No dramatic impovement in speed.

Sick

hmm... your almost like a stalker ice... you have posted like in the last 3 or 4 threads i have posted in tonight....

That ok :D I dont mind having a stalker who is smart and agrees with my genius mind...;)

Back