• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with my heatsink fan (smart fan 2)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lostshoe420

Well, I finally got my FIRST rig up and running, and boy is it ever running loud :)
I've noticed 99% of the sound is from the heatsink fan (Thermaltake SMART CASE FAN II)...

The box it came in reveals very little about the little wires coming off of the fan, and I'm starting to think the jumper is set to Full Speed or something, because it is quite loud (I can hear it easily from across the cellar, where my rig is currently located)

Can anyone tell me if I may have mounted it wrong, or if I need to change the jumper position or something...if you own one, is it really loud at full speed?

Any help would be appreciated...

Oh, p.s.

Should the fan be blowing towards, or away from the processor...(newb question alert)

If you want to lower fan speeds pull off the blue jumper, and attach the speed control knob to the appropriate connector on the fan. Then adjust the fan to where you want it.

JDXNC said:
Fan should be blowing toward the heatsink.

thats not necisarliy(sp?) true i have my smart fan II sucking air through my CPU HS and i notice nothing about the temp but i do notice the sound difference. It is quieter when its sucking through the HS rather than blowiong onto it.

Blink Me said:

thats not necisarliy(sp?) true i have my smart fan II sucking air through my CPU HS and i notice nothing about the temp but i do notice the sound difference. It is quieter when its sucking through the HS rather than blowiong onto it.

Yeah, there's been many a discussion about whether the fan should be sucking air out or blowing air in, but the only way to know what works best in your situation is to try both and check the temps. For me, I've always had fans blow onto the heatsink.

I yi yi,
I wish I had time to mess around with all these different settings and stuff (I don't even have video drivers installed yet)...

Hopefully this weekend...

If you want to lower noise level and increase airflow, you should definately remove the stock grill on the Smart Fan if it came with one. It really dropped my temps a bit and it is way less noisy than it was with the grill on.

Thanks for the tip, I installed mine upside down anyways :)

Oh, and i put the screw in through the back to the nuts are actually towards the front...I figured this would be easier to move on and off...so I'll get tow ork on it.

As a follow up to this (and my horrible last post) I figured out what I did...

I was staring at the box and noticed two cables connected to the fan that werent connected to mine. Low and behold, when I opened the box I must have just tossed them aside and forgot about them...now I have the sensor hooked up and it is MUCH quieter. I blame no one but myself for this stupid act of computing haha.

Back