• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What makes you hotest?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

waynebike

Which stress-testing program gets you the hottest temps?

I have used the following programs:
Prime95-48C
Seti@home-45C
CPU Burn-51C
Sisoft Sandra-49C

Just wanted to see what program most people use when they say their max load temps. I ran all tests for about 3-4 hours each.

Btw my board reads temps from CPU diode.

I Dont know if this is really fair. 100% load is 100% load. the only reason that any of those programs would not generate the same temperature is if they let off the cpu on occasion. ie, sandra when it loads tests and records the data.
If you cpu reaches 100% of its capacity, thats it, you cant make it do any more work in a clock cycle.
in all of those cases, my cpu tops at 41º.

I've found that CPUBurn gets my temps a few degrees celsius higher than when I run Prime95 @ priority 10. I imagine it has to do with data loading in prime...

Actually, when your CPU is at "100%" load it only means that it is handleing as many instructions as it can. Typically, this means that as much as 2/3 of the processor is idle. The reason is that you arn't always doing everything a processor can do. If your program doesn't do any floating point operations, for example, the floating point execution units will not be used, but you will still get "100%" load.

A good load program would provide instructions in a mix that is close to what the processor can handle. This would reduce the amount of idle execution units and make the processor hotter.

This idle part of the processor is exactly what Intel was trying to get at with their hyper-threading technology.

I agree with the previous statement.

I run 3Dmark2001 while folding 24/7, crunching superPI, Toast and cpuBurn all at the same time. For good measure, I also do a bit of mpeg4 encoding straight onto a 4Gb ramdrive. However, my CPU seems to get hotter when I watch Smallville episodes. Weird, huh?

mccoyn said:
Actually, when your CPU is at "100%" load it only means that it is handleing as many instructions as it can. Typically, this means that as much as 2/3 of the processor is idle. The reason is that you arn't always doing everything a processor can do. If your program doesn't do any floating point operations, for example, the floating point execution units will not be used, but you will still get "100%" load.

A good load program would provide instructions in a mix that is close to what the processor can handle. This would reduce the amount of idle execution units and make the processor hotter.

This idle part of the processor is exactly what Intel was trying to get at with their hyper-threading technology.

so would it be better to run 2 or even 3 of these programs at a time to use all of what can be used? or will that just cause more problems?

??
P2P

i would say running a two programs that tax the cpu, and one that taxes the vid card. this way, the vid card will heat up the case while the cpu is working, which will make it hotter.

personally i find that running prime 95 and folding at home with HT turned on runs my rig 2-3 degrees over what just folding does.

If the temperature difference between any of these CPU loading programs makes a difference to your system's stability, you need to think about increasing your safety margin. Imagine using the 'hottest' program for stability testing and you cool your system just good enough so you don't crash. The next day the sun shines...

In other words; get better cooling! :)

System cooling did an interesting article on this not too long ago. I dug it up: CPU burn tests

Of the programs I've run, Seti/Folding made my CPU the warmest, but I generally use Sandra's burnin for stability testing, like 20-30 runs.

Hottest my CPU got was 90 C running Prime when the CPU fan died. I noticed it and shut it down before I could boil water with it.

With hyperthreading running two stress programs should produce more heat. If the stress program is multithreaded, however, it only needs 1 instance.

Back