• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want a cheap upgrade from my P4 1.6 @ 2.4 - What cpu is best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sepperl

Hi there,

i currently have a P4 Northwood 1.6 @ 2.4 GHZ (16x150). Now i want to have more performance. My board has a 845E chipset and my Ram has 166 Mhz.

Which Pentium 4 should i buy, which one can be best overclocked and doesn't cost too much? How about the 2.8 GHZ/533 Bus? Are there special steppings that are better than others?

Thanks in advance!

You should post what motherboard you have too. If you can lock the PCI/AGP, then you have more options, like the 2.4B that will often O/C 3 gig and some even 3.2 gig or more if you get a good one. But, if you can't lock the PCI bus, then the 2.8 533 bus is a good choice. The 2.8 running at 150 FSB (you know your system will do that much) would give you 3.15 gig.

the new 1.8a D1 steppings should also be good for 3+ghz and they would be cheaper than a 2.4b.

Maxvla said:
the new 1.8a D1 steppings should also be good for 3+ghz and they would be cheaper than a 2.4b.

I agree, the new 1.8a can scale up pretty high and cheap.

Thanks for the answers!

I have an Abit BD7-2, and i think i can lock the pci bus. The 1.8 has 18x100 normaly so i could try something like 18x166 = about 3 GHZ.

How can i make sure that i get an 1.8a D1 stepping? Is it certain that a 1.8 D1 can go up to 3 GHZ?

Back