• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remember when...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
Remember when we were using predominantly 1600+ pallies, T-breds were days around the corner, all the hype about what *awsome* overclockers the *new* 2200+ were going to be, and the resulting disapointment?

I know it really doesn't matter to us, but is anybody else suspecting a parrallel with the first generation of prescott. I think alot of us learned a lesson from the 2200+, don't be an early adopter of a die shrink.

My questions for you:

Did you learn anything from the 2200+ fiasco?

Do you think the Intell side of the house is set for disapointment?

P2's die shrink of .35 to .25 was awsome
P3's die shrink of .25 to .18 to .13 was awsome
p4's die shrink of .18 to .13 was awsome

sorry, what were you saying again?

UberBlue said:
So there shouldn't be any hesitation at all to go out and buy a prescott today? Everything is peachy?

ROTFLOL
Intel fudged up.
.09 is messed up, power usage is supposed to go down on a die shrink, not up. (not that AMD is in much better shape for .09).

I would not jump on the bandwagon, as thier is a really good chance of getting burnt with this CPU

I wasn't actually serious, just a tad sarcastic. It's gonna take alot more to turn me to the dark side.

I've seen a more than a few people that think pescott is going to be the best thing since sliced bread, just because.

This whole prescott thing is very similar to what happened with the 2200+, and I keep thinking "here we go again".

My original upgrade plan was a prescott, but being a year late, plans chance.

Providing Intel Can Fix this problem, i still think tejas will be a killer CPU. But Prescotts fate seems to be sealed :(

But i cant go basing the CPU 100% yet, gona wait and see what people get out of them 1st. (only 3 OC members i know of stepped upto the plate)

I think that they just hit the wall for just using die shrinks to lower power consumption. I'm sure the engineers at Intel couldn't tell this was going to happen they'll have to learn by doing, like the whole thing with trying to use RDram with P3s they didn't know that the chip's bandwidth was going to be limited to the 133FSB. Intel may have fudged up now but they do learn from their mistakes fast and unlike AMD they can afford to make mistakes.

well .065 microns is on the roadmap, so i am sure they can get more from die shrinks, or at least in theory.
Remeber, they are not using the same stuff to make .09 so something went wrong.

Back