• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Defraging

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stabber

I just reinstalled XP on my NEW computer 3 days ago. I've deleted a bunch of stuff since then so I thought I'd defrag. To my surprise, defrag moved several files. I was honestly expecting defrag to say "defrag not needed at this time." How can this be for a new HD with the operating system only being 2 days old on it?

Also, it runs really fast all of a sudden. I didnt think defrag would make this much difference on a 2 day old system. Makes me wonder whats going on when I use it. any ideas

What are you using to defrag? Also what OS is it? The one built in windows XP is good but it has limitations. Try restarting first before defragging again. Or do it from safemode it'll get alot more files.

Tebore said:
What are you using to defrag? Also what OS is it? The one built in windows XP is good but it has limitations. Try restarting first before defragging again. Or do it from safemode it'll get alot more files.
using built in tool to defrag. XP professional SP1. Going to try that restarting tip. Thanks

Back