• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help 3dmark freezes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wbbugs

I have a 1.3 celeron(100x13) with 512 pc133 memory. This runs on a via advance 10 t m/board with a geforce fx5200 128 ddr graphics card. The problem I am having is that I cannot run 3dmark2001se everytime. Sometimes it completes and sometimes it freezes. If I oc my gfx card It gives me a better score but it only completes sometimes. If anyone has any ideas on this it would be greatky appreciated.

thx:(

this is the original gfx card I havent changed it. All system componenents are stock. I would say it freezes up 2 out 0f 3 times. Power supply is 450 watt and im running one hdd, 1 cdrom,one pci card, one agp, 4 fans including cpu. I have disconnected floppy.

I cant run all of the 3dmark tests. Its says that i need the 2001 version bet that doesnt work when i installed it.

Help?

vcore is at 1.49
2.5v at 2.53
3.3 at 3.35
5v at 5.07
12v at12.24

Power supply came with my zorro case

I've been messing with a 5200 myself.

I just got this 5200 yesterday... Basically just testing it out and burning it in. its an asus v9520 magic. I've modded it a little and have been testing it. It isn't very good because it has 64-bit ram, but it was cheap. It seems like its very quick when dealing with lots of polygons, faster than my mx440, but it is about 60 or 65% as fast when dealing with textures and operations which require memory bandwidth. At stock speeds it appears to consistently run without any hanging. OC'd it runs smooth without hanging also until a point... as u can see it has a very large heatsink on it and I have lapped it and took care so that it would make good contact. I can oc it up to about 315 mhz without any noticible artifacts; however, there is an occasional hang that starts to appear around 308mhz. Because of this I've backed it off to 300mhz. It doesn't actually freeze up but it produces a hang that can last between 5-10 seconds. at 300mhz core it doesn't seem to do it. Take great care when overclocking your card! Alot of people say to stop the oc when u see artifacts but I believe you should watch for more than just artifacts and keep your eyes peeled for any sort of odd behavior. If its freezing or hanging I would suggest backing off until you can get better cooling. Also if its new, you want to back off a little more at first to ensure that it burns in well. Later on you might be able to achieve that clock speed without the hangs once you can have it burned in properly and cooled properly. If its brand new I would suggest staying out of artifact range, finding out where it hangs, and then back off slightly from there for now, maybe even run it at stock speed looping 3dmark 2001 or 03 while ur away for some hours to help it burn in.

Shes a beauty at 300mhz/540mhz! so far 75xx 3dmark2001, 1451 3dmark03! Not too bad considering it 64-bit memory interface and only gets around 4.4gb of on card bandwidth.

Picture_002.jpg

Its not THAT bad of a card... if u own one u should probably just be aware that it has its strenths and weaknesses... try to do ur graphics settings to exploit the strenths and then minimize the weaknesses of the fx5200. One of its stenths is that its not a bad gpu, all in all the gpu itself kills the mx440 GPU without taking memory into account, and if it has 128 bit ram then its far superior to it. Even the 64-bit 5200 is superior to the mx440 in some things... 1451 3dmark03... thats not bad for 50 dollars.

Heres something my mx440 couldn't dream of running smoothly, if at all, which I can run on this 64-bit 5200 @ 1024X768 with medium settings for everything... its 100% playable and i was actually enjoying playing this demo.

FarCry0000.jpg

Last edited:
oh sorry I thought u said u were getting hangs during overclocking the card.

that seems like a pretty old of a system with pc133 memory and such for fx5200 to be the card thats always been in it.

Might want to check your bios settings, possibly your ram timings could be loosened some. First i'd probably defragment and then reinstall drivers. Do some web searching on the best way to reinstall nvidia drivers and follow the newest nicest looking instructions. If that doesn't help, try to reformat and reinstall your OS. What is the agp interface of your motherboard? is it agp 4X or agp 2X. fx5200 is a 8X card I've heard that there are issues with 8X cards in 2X slots.. but i'm not sure. Also the bios settings could be running out of specifcation causing these problems, finally there could be a hardware issue and in that case I really hope that u find the answer to ur problem.

Back