• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Cooling noob needs advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EddyXP

Hello there people! First post on this forum. Im going to purchase a new system, a amd64 3200+. chaintech znf3-150 motherboard, and OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 DUAL CHANNEL 512MB memory.

My case is going to hopefully be a Lian-Li PC-7 case
Newegg Link

And my case fans..
Sunon 120x38mm Low Speed
Specifications: 120x120x38mm, 84 CFM @ 2400 RPM, 35 dBA, 3.2w .27 Amp, 12v DC, 3-pin connector.

2 PCI Fans
Xoxide Link

However, the LianLi PC case only holds 3 80mm fans, and i want 120's. since they are quieter and have greater CFM. I am in desperate need of having a quiet, cooled system since my current tbird 1.1 runs and 150 degrees celsius and ocasionally shuts down on me. Im in desperate need of advice on how to cool my next system.

If you have any recommendations on another case, as stylish as the Lian Li, with support for 4 120mm fans, please let me know.

This power supply called my attention, please tell me if its a good purchase : ENERMAX EG365P-VE
Newegg Link

Please remember, im looking for a cool, quiet system. I will also be buying a fan controlling unit of 3.5" that fits in the floppy from xoxide's page here

Please help whenever possible! Thanks in advance

PS: Do fan filters do filter dust out work? and also, does the vantec sound dampener do anything? im really shooting for a quiet system

Forgot to Mention

Is it possible to use 120 fans in 80 slots? I really like that case and want to keep it. I was thinking of using 2 120 at front for intake, and 2 for exhaust, one back, and one on the top, along with the two pci that are slots.

So the question is, can i still use the same case? or do i have to change it? I know that for the fan at the top i have to modify but thats no biggie.

Please respond as soon as possible, thanks again.

There are very few cases that use 120mm fans. I personally never heard of a case with 4 120mm lol.

First ones that come to mind are:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-122&depa=0

and....

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...1-129-140&catalog=7&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0

and this

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...1-129-141&catalog=7&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0

and finally

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...1-129-127&catalog=7&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0

Im pretty sure that all of these come with 2 120mm fans. Besides if you want more you can always cut em out yourself.

Now If you really want something quiet, check out water cooling. Its starting to get alot cheaper. Im personally thinkgin about going water myself.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

I looked at that case on Newegg. If it was mine I would take that bottom inside cage off temporarily, take the front off, and cut a clean 120mm hole into that inside grating. I don't like inside grating like that - too restrictive. I would then drill mounting holes and mount a 120mm fan. It would be tempting to put an LED fan in there because of the front panel grate. Anyway, I would then cut a 120mm blow-hole in the removable side, centered on the graphics card, and mount a 120mm fan there. Leave the rear fan as is. Finally, I would place all three of those fans, as well as the cpu fan, on a four channel fan controller to be able to turn them down and up at will. I have found that turning fans down even just a little bit can make a huge cumulative difference in noise. I don't think that you would need any more fans than this. Oh, how to cut: I would use aviation metal snips found at any hardware store. A lot of people use Dremels though.

Last edited:
I don't have the link but I got my case at Directron.com and its the sonata modle case but it was like 40 or 50 somthing. I love it. Nice airflow. 120mm in and out.

Back