• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HL2 with A64...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dropadrop

The makers of HL2 predict about 30% performance increase on the version of HL2 for A64 compared to the 32bit version...

Will Half-Life 2 have any special optimizations for 64-bit processors?

Gabe Newell: I would expect we would run about 30% faster clock for clock comparing an Athlon running 32-bit code and an Athlon 64 running 64-bit code. Release of the 64-bit client will be gated on MS releasing 64-bit Windows.

link

Well thats REALLY good news for AMD:D

Just gotta wait and see what other 900 dollars chiop intel is gonna bring out:rolleyes: . (maybe 64 bit sooner or later...)

Adam

yeah but valve said hl2 woudl be out septmebr 30th i dont belive jack they say anymore.. to bad. Still gotta keep your fingers crossed that 64bits takes of as quick as possible.

The intent of that particular statement suggests that the A64 running 64-bit code, will be 30% faster than the AXP running 32-bit code. The A64 is already significantly faster than the AXP in games due to the on-die memory controller, SSE2 support and larger L2 cache. And this particular statement is extremely old, having been already talked about last August or September.

Gabe Newell: I would expect we would run about 30% faster clock for clock comparing an Athlon running 32-bit code and an Athlon 64 running 64-bit code. Release of the 64-bit client will be gated on MS releasing 64-bit Windows.

"Release of the 64-bit client will be gated on MS releasing 64-bit Windows"

Dont forget that statement.

OBLIVIONLORD said:

"Release of the 64-bit client will be gated on MS releasing 64-bit Windows"

Dont forget that statement.
You can download windows 64 beta right now for free.

yeah "final" version fo windows are chaos, would u really want a beta. plus previews that have been out say 32 bit apps crash like crazy on a64 machines.

You can still have a dual boot system.
I wouldn't trust my main OS to be a beta, but I would have a dual boot just to try it out.

Circaflex said:
pfft it the 32bit has been delayed so much, i wont expect the 64bit untill 2005

:confused:

By 93' just about everyone had thrown away their 16bit pc, and gotten 32bit pc, whatever do you mean by "32bit has been delayed so much"?

Yuriman said:

:confused:

By 93' just about everyone had thrown away their 16bit pc, and gotten 32bit pc, whatever do you mean by "32bit has been delayed so much"?

By '93 almost everyone using a PC was still running 16bit software in 16bit mode on their 32bit processors.

a 30% inprovement is a HUGE statement.

I doubt it'll even come close to be being true.

Want proof? Running the game at decently high res, and high quality textures, the bottle neck is DEF not the cpu, it is the video card. It's true and it's a sad fact. Unless if 64 bit code and drivers magically transform the video card to be 30% faster, I don't even think it'll be 30% faster?

30% performance increase in what? FPS? I don't buy it.

Sorry all this "free performance" from 64-bit on NEW games doesn't exist because you can't go faster than the video card can go :) *maybe* if the Video card wasn't the bottle neck I could see a 10-15% improvement. But by the time the video card isn't the bottle neck, the current A64 processors will be child's play :)

Even in 64-bit with Divx 5.1.1 in a 64-bit linux vs 32 bit build, it only showed about a 10-15% increase from MY testing, and that relies HEAVLY on the cpu, not anything else (cept maybe the Harddrive)

Has windows ever ported form it's 16bit management logic?

After the coming of 32-bit cpu's, they claimed to have changed their main architecture... Not really...

With 64-bit architecture, it's probably just more fragmented management.

f012t12 said:
Has windows ever ported form it's 16bit management logic?

After the coming of 32-bit cpu's, they claimed to have changed their main architecture... Not really...

Yes. It's called NT. Written from scratch, all 32-bit and modern from the beginning. Its what is underneath Win2k, XP, and Win2k3. It was supposedly easy to extend to win64 without suffering the horrible hackiness that Win9x had, due to a clean and modern design.

With 64-bit architecture, it's probably just more fragmented management.

Apparently not. This time around, the whole system is 64-bit with a thunking environment for running 32-bit applications. And Microsoft started from a solid system, they aren't extending a hacked up unstable system like they were last time around.

Written from scratch by who? The same people who dealt with the 16-bit code?

Well, ok, but there's alot of refinement code to be done. XP was a huge improvement.

Well, most of the time with anything, there's always a better way of doing something. I doubt any software that deals with complex logic is written "perfectly."

So i mean there could be many adjustments to make things run smoother, maybe not...

yeah it will be alot of factors that make the 64 bit faster, not just the fact that it is 64 bits, probably ddrII will ahve laot ot do with that

Back