• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

multiplier and overclocking pIII 800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stryker

I want to attempt to get my pIII 800 up to 1000mhz. I checked out overclockers cpu database, and im seeing multipier speeds of 8, but my bios says my multiplier is 6. whats the deal? What fsb speed do i need to get it to 1000mhz? my motherboard (vp6) will dish out 1.9 core voltage. Is this doable?

as long as you have good ram it is possible, I'm not sure about the divider options on the vp6, as you will be running your fsb at 166mhz you would need a 1/5 pci divider or end up running your pci bus at 41mhz which a lot of components won't like, especially nic's, pci modems, pci sound cards and the hardrive but if you have a 1/5 pci divider then you should be set, the only other issu is the agp bus, with a 1/2 divider it would be running at 83mhz, I don't know of any nvidia cards from about the tnt2 onwards that won't handle this but it could be a problem, then of course there is your ram, you will need ram that runs at 166mhz, and there is no way of knowing if your ram will without trying it, I think that there is pc166 ram available from mushkin but it is pricey, unless of course the vp6 supports "host - pci" for ram speed, then of course the only problem would be, will your cpu run at 1ghz, with standard cooling this is iffy, you shouldn't need more than 1.9v to make it and if you do then it's not worth it, the only way to find out is try your self as every component is differant, 2 people with exactly the same specs may get vastly differant results

Back