• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do you overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scott

ok i read the info for newbies on how to clock but how do you overclock. Its a dumb question but i need help.. I have an intel 800 eb and a soyo mother board

Scott (Apr 29, 2001 06:55 p.m.):
ok i read the info for newbies on how to clock but how do you overclock. Its a dumb question but i need help.. I have an intel 800 eb and a soyo mother board
Theres no such thing as a stupid question.
Well first off just hang around this forum for a few weeks before you attempt anything.
Read some post and ask some questions.
On the main page there are some helpful tips.

give us as much info as you can Scott. What model mobo, exactly which processor, brand/speed of memory....etc.

If you don't know all of this, download SiSoft Sandra and play with it. It'll tell you and us everything 'we' need to know.

p3 800eb, soyo 7vca-2aa6 mother board, tnt 2 m64, 256 ram.

Your' off to a good start Scott. Hanging around here reading and asking will teach you a lot. Do a search for your chip and mobo and you'll probably find posts relating others experiences with the same or similar hardware. Probably the first rule of overclocking is "Keep it cool" so read all you can about Heatsinks, lapping thermal paste etc.. Actually for thermal paste all you need to know is Arctic Silver. Study the CPU Database, it's priceless!
Click on every link in the Tips and techniques section . Read the first sentence. That will probably make you wnt to read the rest. Sounds boring but it definately isn't. Maybe confusing at first , but if you keep it up you'll soon have that chip tweked to the max.
Welcome to the finest collection of overclockers on the planet (and most of the southern region of Alpha Centauri) ;D

Scott (Apr 29, 2001 10:00 p.m.):
p3 800eb, soyo 7vca-2aa6 mother board, tnt 2 m64, 256 ram.

It appears that your motherboard BIOS supports 66/100/133 Front Side Bus speeds. The P3 800 eb (which I used to have) uses 133 FSB already ( 6 multiplier times 133 speed equals the 800 mhz).

unless or until you can change the FSB to go higher than 133, you are kinda stuck with the speed you got. You can't chage the multiplier because Intel locks it.. the only way to go faster is to make the speed of the FSB higher, and you can't do that with the motherboard you have.

Sorry. (I hope I am wrong and someone else has a way for you).

Back