• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Pentium III 450 & QDI BrillianX IS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jak

Registered
Hi all. I have been at the site for a few weeks now and am pretty sure what to do when or if i overclock my CPU. I have a P3 450 & QDI BrillianX IS (http://www.qdigrp.com/eng/products/bx1s.htm). I just want some tips or advice before i do actually overclock. I was planning on putting the FSB up to 133 from 100 but i dotn know what the max speed my mother board can support. Also i am a bit worried that if i do that other things will not work e.g. my memory thats only 100mhz, my HD is only 5400rpm and i read that if its too slow i could lead to data corruption.

I also need 2 know what the mamimum temperature my processor can take. I really dont know. Thanks.

Sorry if i sound like i dont know anything, its mainly because i have never done this before and even though i am not too worried i just want to check its not going to go wrong. Thanks. If you needed to know anything else about my computer just ask. Thanks again.

Jak

P.S. I was also thinking of overclocking my graphics card. Its a Hercules 3D Prophet II MX Dual-Display Video (GeForce 2 MX Chipset). The current speeds are, Core Clock = 175, RAM Clock = 166. And i want 2 know what i can get it up to. Thanks for any help.

I'm running my P III 450 @ 600 right now and it's really stable. I've replaced the jumpers on my mobo to 133 and raised the core voltage with 0,1V.
I also put a gorb on the CPU to keep it cool and an extra case fan blows fresh air into the rig.
The way to set the FSB depends on which mobo you are using. In my case I just had to replace the jumpers on my mobo and I can raise the FSB in the BIOS setup to 150 max.
I haven't got any problems at all with my sound - or video card. The memory is also doing fine.
So normally it won't be any problem to OC your CPU, but raise the FSB step by step, reboot until it gets unstable and keep an eye on the CPU temp.
Good luck and be careful...

Thanks for the info. I have just been looking in my Bios (My motherboards Jumperless so there is Jumper Emulation settings in the Bios) and the only FSB options i have are:

100 < The Default

This seems odd as i have seen sites which say there should b many more:

4.5 x 103MHz = 464MHz
4.5 x 112MHz = 504MHz
4.5 x 117MHz = 527MHz
4.5 x 124MHz = 558MHz
4,5x 129MHz = 580MHz
4.5 x 133MHz = 600MHz
4.5 x 138MHz = 621MHz
4.5 x 142MHz = 640MHz

any ideas? and thanks for the help. its greatly appreciated.

I own the same board and have successully ran at a 133mhz fsb with pc100 ram in it, one problem I and other users of that board have had though is that it sometimes set's ram back to cas3 and the 133mhz fsb can sometimes disapear from the options list.
the board doesn't have jumpers for manythings, there is a jumper near the clock gen (to the right of the agp slot) that allows a 100mhz fsb on 66mhz fsb chips but that is about the only jumper for anything cpu related, so if you can't get to 600mhz without increasing the voltage then you would have to modify the cpu slightly, the next highest fsb available in the bios is only 112mhz which would give you 504mhz, but if you use softfsb then there is also a 124mhz fsb available, but this can pose a problem for harddrives, it does on mine anyway. You may need the latest bios to get the 133mhz fsb I'm not sure, the latest official is 2.1 but there is a beta 2.2 with coppermine support in it as well, you need to email qdi to request it

my board has the Winbond W83196S-14 clock generator which supports the folowing fsb's

66, 68, 75, 83, 100, 103, 112, 124, 133, 140, 150

the bios on my board doesn't sho 124, 140 and 150mhz though and sometimes 133mhz disapears or runs at 66mhz, but softfsb shows and allows them all, coufsb doesn't work at all on my board, it crashes or just doesn't change the fsb

ok. thanks again. SoftFSB does not have my motherboard in the list. Does this mean it wont work or will it if i can get the clock generator number thing. If so, where can i find it, i assume its on the mb somewhere?

Thanks if you can help

yes you need to select the clock genertor in soft fsb, it should be the same as the one I listed but to be sure it is on the right hand side of the agp slot with a silver chip next to it (this is the quartz) it should also have a jumper next to it (for overclocking 66mhz fsb chips)

so what do you think i should set it to. i dont want to have problems with my hd e.t.c. i have the latest bois from QDI, not the Beta one. and it has 133 as an option actually in the bois. whats the best setting?
thanks for all the help. its greatly appreciated.

P.S. my current temp (the reading from the only sensor that gives any reading other than 0 (LM80) is 37. is this bad?)

there are 2 possible temp sensors on the b1s, one measure the motherboard temp, this is the lm80 and should be kept under 40oC, I like to make sure it is under 30oC and currently have gotten it down to 24oC, the second is not on all boards, this is the maxim 1617 and measures the cpu temp, if you look on the board on the side of the cpu with the heatsink close to the bx chip there will either be a small chip (not the winbond one this is the memory buffer) or solder for a chip, if motherboard monitor gives silly readings for this like 4oC and 0oC then you don't have it on your board, if you get between 30-40oC for it then you do.
you should try the 133mhz fsb to see if it works, it can't do any harm trying, if the computer doesn't boot afterwards then obviously the chip won't handle this speed at default voltage and you will need to reset the bios (a jumper in the top right hand side near the battery is the one closest to the battery, there is another which is to tell the bios if you have the case open or not as well) if this doesn't work then you could try a 124mhz fsb with softfsb, there is a chance this will just crash straight away or it may just be unstable, this much above spec can be a real problem with many components though. 112mhz is almost sure to work and I can think of no reason why it wouldn't

ok. Well i have just got some new cooling for my cpu. i still cant tell what temp it is but i thought i would try setting the FSB to 133 and well. hmmmm. in the bois its all set up and when it boots it says its running at 600mhz (it actually says Pentium III at 600BMhz) but when i get into windows all the programs say its running at 112 (500mhz) and so does SoftFSB. n e ideas? i dont know why its changing. Thanks.

wcpuid says the same thing.
with softsfb if i set it straight from 112 to 133 for some reason it does it but sets the CPU Frequency to 300mhz (half what it should be) and all the programs report 300mhz and it dosent go any quicker. i cant go step by step because 124 freezes it instantly (i think its because of the PCI bus speed). any ideas? thanks

Update: ok i just took another look and authough it says its running at 133 x 4.5 which should be 600 but is actually 300. well in wcpuid it says that the FSB has been set to 66 not 133. so i really dont have a clue whats going on.

Back