• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this Possible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noccy

Take it from some noob like myself but here it goes. I recently purchased a 2600+ and a MSI K7N2 DELTA mobo, put the system together... went through all my bios settings etc. I have had the system put together for about a week, I wasnt plannning on OC'ing my system for a while. Well somehow I must have inadvertantly changed my FSB settings to 200!!!! Now the system boots so quick that my monitor never shows the post settings on the board so I really never bothered to look to see if there was any problem because my machine runs smooth as silk. So I guess my question is if my system is stable and keep in mind that this is using the stock cooling system should I leave it this way or go back???

Thanks in advance for any responses.

200fsb=400mhz, right? hmm...good o/c, wonder if he has a gem on his hands...when you get some better cooling, post the steppings(all the letters and numbers) from your chip...you might just be able to do more with it

that is a sweet oc, cant wait to see how it rocks with a nice Heatsink on it. Congrat's on the OC there. my 2800 only hit 2250MHz on stock cooling. now im stuck at 2350MHz because of my RAM

yea it was kind of a screwup on my part when setting the FSB to 166 in the bios i must have hit the + key one more time. But I was going in to look at some other settings and thats when I noticed it. I am just worried cuz i dont want to trash this proc, but then again over a week now with no hints of any problems... and I am a pretty hardcore gamer with 4-5 hour stints of Star wars galaxies with no issues so i figure that I have stressed it quite a bit so maybe ill change it back to 200 FSB then.

One more quick question (and btw thanks for all the help and info so far) what would be a safe operating temperature of the CPU 2600+ in this case, it fluctuates from 49 - 52

those temps are good if you can set a temp alarm it the bios i have mine set to 60c so if i hit 60c it shuts down its a good idea to have it gonig. Hey No problem. If you have anymore ?'s feel free to ask. Take Care

49-52c those are you're full load temps I hope right? If not sounds a little dangerous:eek:

because I idle about 39-44 sometimes full load I can hit 50c

Gnufsh said:
Have you tested stability with prime95, cpubburn, and memtest86 yet?

My thoughts exactly. Just because it boots into windows and plays games does not mean it is 100% stable. Also those temps you stated are a bit on the high side. You probable have not hit 100% usage of your cpu yet and when you do the temps will go up. I don't know where you are getting your temp readings from. Depending on your motherboard those temps can be off by as much as 10*C

Sounds like you got a great OC chip there. I'd get a better HSF and then test it with prime95 for 24 hrs. Watch your temps and crank it up if passes.

Oh and Welcome to the forums

Back