• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NO idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drop-Top

Ok, So my buddy from school has this issue he wanted me to post on the forums.

1. two weeks ago when is was playing DX2, his comp just shut off for no apparent reason. He tried rebooting and the fans wouldn't even flicker. He thought he fried the MB because of the power supply, so he purchased a new MB. When he go that, he didn't get any results, so he purchased a new CPU, VC, and PSU. Today he plugged them all in and got a bios screen that told him his processor was running too low. He then proceeded to load default values and rebooted. When he did that, all he it did was beep and no load. The only thing that I can think of is that his 2nd MB got fried from whatever fried the first one. I the only thing we haven't checked is his memory, which we will do tonight, but other than that I have no Ideas. Please assist with any suggestions.

drop-top

did you try clearing the cmos on the first board?

seems a little hasty to just go out and buy a mobo+cpu+vidcard.

i've had rigs that refused to boot for a few days untill i figured out the prob. ususally its something simple, but always the last thing you can think of.

I've had memory that fried 2 motherboards before I realized it was the memory and not the psu or something else. When I say "fried" i simply mean that nothing happened when you boot the computer. No beeps, nothing.

This was a couple years ago and I was on my first budget box. I had purchased PC2400 for a motherboard spec'd at 2100. Worked GREAT for a couple weeks, then one day... nothing. Bought another motherboard and PSU and psu, and this time the motherboard simply would not boot, but I could get power to the peripherals. I still have that notorious stick of Corsair 2400, but since no one [I know] has a mobo that supports it, I haven't gotten rid of it, and I am too cheap to get it tested. Who knows... I could get another stick of ram out of it.

yeah, i would say check the ram cause last week a similar thing happened to me, so my desperation act was to pull one of my memory sticks, the first one i pulled she booted right up.

Back