• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Q 'bout cele766

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frog

Just curious, because I have'nt seen any1 posting about the cele766mgz if it is overclockable. I'm very new to this type of tweaking, but also a very determined person. I have a cele766 in an abit SE6 motherboard. Can any1 give me some insight as to if it is possible, and if it is what setting are recommended!! Thanks alot!

Yeah I looked there and they did have good info on how-to's with celerons, but nothing really about any of them faster than 600mgz I just want to know specifically about the 766 that way I know what fans and others to buy or if it can even be done!! Thanks for you're reply!!!

The speed of the cpu is determined by 2 things, the first is the FSB, this is what carrys information between the motherboard chipset and the cpu, this can run at 66mhz,100mhz,133mhz other speeds are usually available but are not supported and are out of spec. The second thing is the cpu multiplyer, to achive a cpu speed higher than the fsb the cpu multiplys the fsb by it's multiplyer, so a celeron 766 on a 66mhz bus (this is what you have) uses an 11.5 multiplyer, now on intel chips you can not change the multiplyer as intel locks it so you can't overclock. But you can still adjust the fsb speed. The common trick done with the celeron is to change the fsb from 66 to 100mhz which is the next official fsb speed available (rarely do they reach 133mhz as this is a very large overclock) to do this you need a motherboard that will allow selection, your motherboard should have this in the bios under Softmenu. with your chip though you will not reach a 100mhz fsb as this would be 1.15ghz (11.5x100) which a celeron won't reach without extreme cooling which is expensive and difficult to set up and use. you will have to settle for an inbetween fsb which is running out of spec but will usually be fine, you should try fsb speeds from 75mhz to about 85mhz and see which you can get stable, around 75-80mhz is likely to be the limit on your board. If a setting is unstable at first then try an increase to the vcore voltage, just be sensible one only go up in small incriments and stay under 1.9v if you have any troubles then feel free to email me about it. the reason you don't see much information on overclocking celerons faster than 600mhz is because these are the best for overclocking, the 633 can usually reach 950mhz (9.5x100) but the 600mhz celeron is probabally the best all round for overclocking (I have one running at 1.01ghz (9x112mhz this is an out of spec bus speed) but when you get above that it is unlikely that you will reach the 100mhz bus speed so most people stear clear of celerons faster than 633mhz.

I think the equation goes like this:

RAM*(CxFSB)+CPU*(TxAxU)=$$$$$

where T=time A=aggravation U=up all night

My point is, you have a fast chip that won't go much higher due to the already tweaked celeron bus speed, and the time you will spend overclocking will not pay for itself (unless of course your time is measured in cents/hour, in which case you can fly out an clean my kitchen for a can of soda).

If you need more go, go more $$$$

overclocking celerons is the simplest thing in the world, all he need do is is steadily increase the fsb until it becomes unstable, then up the voltage at 0.05v at a time until he can get it stable (as long as he keeps below 1.9v) and then carry on increasing the fsb, the most work he would have to do if he can't get a satisfactory overclock is take off the intel cooler, put some heatsink compound on and a new heatsink (like the fop 32 or wbk 32) and carry on, one warning though, once you start you do always get ideas for what will get you a little bit more and this is where it can get expensive if you don't restrain your self

Back