• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dow can i find out what kind of service i have?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmmm usually when you call the phone company for the service you know what your asking for ? so i dont know

yea its bellsouth fast access and its 1.5 dl and 256 ul

so now can you guys recommend me a goooood ethernet modem? bellsouth wants me to buy a 150 dollar westell... i want that to be my last resort. and i know i alredy asked this question, but no one read that thread, so hopefully you guys can answer. thanks

personally, i would kill 2 birds with one stone... simply call up your isp and ask them what type of service they have and also ask them what modems they have on their approved list. pretty much every isp has an approved list of modems and such that are known to be compatabile (also non-hackable for faster downloads, etc). this should help you out in finding a modem quite a bit and possibly save you a headache later...

yea well bellsouth is being retarded about thier modems. they are like we only have westell and thats all im going to tell you. any modem will work, but we don't have an apporved list and the only modem we have is westell. and btw its 150 dollars.... and thats all they tell me.

stan03 said:
yea well bellsouth is being retarded about thier modems. they are like we only have westell and thats all im going to tell you. any modem will work, but we don't have an apporved list and the only modem we have is westell. and btw its 150 dollars.... and thats all they tell me.

wow, that's pretty lame and user-unfriendly... is this isp for profit? if so, it sounds as if they need to work on their people skills and get their people knowing a bit more... it's not like you're asking some ridiculous question that is next to impossible to answer...

Yah very retarded indeed. I got a list off of their web site. Unfortunately, it is running a script that blocks me from a direct link but here is what I found:

Modems & Routers: Which ones not sold by BellSouth work with FastAccess DSL?

Code:
Modem Vendor           Modem Device 
Efficient Networks     SpeedStream 5667 
Eicon                  Diva 2430, 2430SE 
Eicon                  Diva 2440 
IteX                   ITEX Apollo 2 
IteX                   ITEX Apollo 3 
Nokia                  MW 1122 
Westell                WIRESPEED DMT

Modems & Routers: Which ones are sold by BellSouth?

Code:
Modem Vendor           Modem Device 
Efficient              3060 
Efficient              4060 
Alcatel                USB 
Alcatel                Speedtouch Home

ok well i know about these "Efficient 3060
Efficient 4060
Alcatel USB
Alcatel Speedtouch Home "

the alcatels are no longer sold, i have the sppedtouch usb which uses usb and doesn't support ethernet.... so i can't get a router... which is why im so ****ed, cause i need a router to install linux (don't ask, long story, if you really want to know ask me later :p) the i haven't even heard of efficients, but none of the people i have called have even mentioned taht.

i have called so many times its rediculous. once i got a guy that knew what he was talking about, and he told me that most modems would work, but when i asked about which brands are supported, he was like well tahts out of my knkowledge i only know about westell. then i called again yeserday and the lady had no idea what was going on. i could hear her tying in the quesion on her computer (you know the database they get to search for answers on?) anyway she told me i could get the modem for free but only from westell cause thats all bellsouth deals with. then after ordering, she calls back and says the rebate is over and now it costs 150... so taht order didn't work out either. so now im in search for a modem that will work with bellsouth, but preferably not westell, unless its a last resort
/rant

Back