• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

running a little hot :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePunkGeek

Ok well i took off my old HS/F and cleaned the old thermal grease off of the cpu then applied a layer of cheep HS thermal grease i got from radioshack ( i went all around town looking for somthing decent all i could get was this)

i think i did it allright but the heat is wat hotter then i like.
it runs around 35C°/93F idle witch is pretty scary to run it hard.

i have a 2 case fans 2 50mm fans on HS.

could i have not applied the thermal grease correctly?

any ideas/tip would be nice so i can make do till i get some AC2

it may be that you have put a slightly too thick.
With radio shack stuff it is more important to get a thin layer than with AS as it acts more like an insulator than a condicter when it's on too thick.

ok well i made the thinest layer i possible could evenly spread and it still run the same

and one have anything to add that might help?
the room temp is currently 70C°
i think

what cpu is it and what heatsink?
I take it you mean 70oF not oC as I much doubt you would be in the frame of mind for using a computer :)

that is a normal room temp mine is about 73oF and 69oF on the floor where my pc is

Phil (May 23, 2001 05:21 p.m.):
what cpu is it and what heatsink?
I take it you mean 70oF not oC as I much doubt you would be in the frame of mind for using a computer :)

that is a normal room temp mine is about 73oF and 69oF on the floor where my pc is

Um...70c....no.

Neither you or your computer would be doing much of anything....thats around 150- 160 degrees farenheit. warm......very warmmm... =)

Yeah, PG...that temp is a bit high...do you have the fan (I hate these expressions, sooooo raunchy) sucking or blowing (ack) on the sink?? I noticed a difference when testing things on my PEP66T. Worked better sucking (ack), I think....*looking for notes*....nope blowing...1 to 2c cooler.

I can't recall myself...what hsf are you using, again??*update...duh read the "sig", Mr B (dummy...=)) intel hsf still..oh yeah...*smacks forehead**

Mr B

You have 2 50mm fans on the heatsink?
Thats an odd size fan most are 60mm.
What brand and model of heatsink do you have?
What p3 cpu do you have and are you overclocking it?
Do you have the voltage in the bios set to auto and what does a program like SiSoft Sandra say the vcore
is?
Sorry if I am repeating others questions.

Mr B (May 23, 2001 06:03 p.m.):

Um...70c....no.

Neither you or your computer would be doing much of anything....thats around 150- 160 degrees farenheit. warm......very warmmm... =)

Yeah, PG...that temp is a bit high...do you have the fan (I hate these expressions, sooooo raunchy) sucking or blowing (ack) on the sink?? I noticed a difference when testing things on my PEP66T. Worked better sucking (ack), I think....*looking for notes*....nope blowing...1 to 2c cooler.

I can't recall myself...what hsf are you using, again??*update...duh read the "sig", Mr B (dummy...=)) intel hsf still..oh yeah...*smacks forehead**

Mr B

it's not raunchy, if you are stating the truth :D

Well i live in a little city and its hard to get any good HS/F or thermal proxy so until i can get a visa card am using

Antec Cool
2 Heavy Duty ball bearing fans with heatsink
what it says on box.

fans speed at
5296 rmp aprox

and ya it not celcius :) woah thx god

spazzed86 (May 23, 2001 07:30 p.m.):
Mr B (May 23, 2001 06:03 p.m.):

Um...70c....no.

Mr B

it's not raunchy, if you are stating the truth :D

Yeah, I know...it just sounds so perverted....lol

Mr B

what i am using, until i can get some AS is case off, and a big fan just blowing into the computer itself (with case off)
ive been running seti@home and gotten 25C average when my idling average is 24C :)

Back