• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5900 stock a few noob questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crashtest

just installed a fx5900 stock, a mate was over and said why dont you increast core freq and mem freq so im gonna try it. defult settings are core freq 300 and mem freq 700

so i found out that you should increase core by 5 ant a time and mem by 10 at a time "that right?". just wondering the peeps that have done it how far have you gone with this. i was told you go till you start getting artifacts or the card temp starts to increas to unresonable temps. reading one post this guy has set clock freq from 300 to 400 and no probs

i dont really know what would be unresonable temps, my card sits at 46 degreese idle at the moment "its a bit hot here" and gets to 57 flat out.

the other thing is in clock freq adjustment settings is set to standard 2dD, should i set that to performance 3D

i have a atlon 2600+
1 gig of pc2700
soltec sl 75mrn mobo
sounblaster 5.1
2x80gig hd
and a x-micro fx 5900 stock

thanks for any help

there should be an option in your properties to, "auto detect" and with my 5900, it set the freq to 470/950, from 400/850. the highest ive ran on that card is 500/975, with the stock evga cooling, and it ran SUPERB until the system shutdown.. but that could have been having my stock 2400+ running at 2300mhz. so the 5900 imo is a very nice overclocker, and i brought my 3dmark2001 score up by almost 1500 points.

also there is the test settings feature, which wont let you set it at a crazy freq. but you still need to watch yor core temps, and try to keep below 60c.
and if these fetured arent unlocked, the program NVHardpage.. cant unlock them and a few more nice features.

Last edited:
there are two settings for clock frequencies.. 2d and 3d, leave your 2d alone, when you make your adjustments to the clock adjust the 3D settings.. this will kick in when you run a game..

temps in the 50's is good..

when oc'ing clock either the core or the ram to the highest you can before you get artifacts or lockups.. IE: run your ram up to its max, then downclock it by 10mhz to give you alittle safe zone, then do the same for the core.. when you achieve your highest clocks for each, set them both and run some benchies..

Jumping up your FSB will help out alot also, look into that if you can too..

thanks guys, you have helped heaps.

new to computers and just wasnt sure what to do without stuffing everything.

ill give that a go.

Back