• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios Settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JetEngineMech

What multiplier and FSB settings do I use for an Athlon 2800+? I have an Asus A7V8X-X and my current settings are 13.0 and 166. I thought I read that it was supposed to be 13.5 somewhere but whenever I set it to 13.5, the system gets highly unstable. I'm using watercooling for my video card and CPU. Thanks.

I believe the 2800+ is 2083mhz meaning 12.5 x 166. Why don't you try setting it to auto detect? Most likely its unstable at 13.5 x 166 because you're overclocking it about 160mhz ;)

yes, higher fsb is better, but you might have to compensate in the end by droping say 5mhz on fsb to be able to use .5x higher on multi

test test test

OK, so now I'm seeing all these fantastic speeds with fan cooling. I'm running water on my CPU and video card. Does this mean I should be able to reach the same speeds or are there other factors I should consider?

your motherboard wil be the bottleneck in the fsb department but yes u should be able to fit a nice speed with lots off Vcore :p remember dont go over 2.0V for 24/7 use

I've resest all my settings to base and ran Sandra for a base and also go a base temp at idle of 43C. I raised my voltage from 1.65 to 1.75 and then to 1.85. The temp is 46C and the benchmarks have actually decreased slightly. Is this normal?

Those are good temps, but I dont like raising my vcore above 1.75. See how high you can get with that. My 2500+ gets about 2.35ghz.

Do I need to keep the voltage up at all or is it necessary for overclocing the bus and multiplier? I guess what I'm asking is what is the purpose of raising the voltage in the first place?

More voltage=more stability=shorter life

The way to overclock is to go as far as you can on stock voltage, then when it becomes unstable, increase the voltage a bit and keep going. You continue to do this until you feel the voltage is unsafe, or until no voltage increase gives more speed. Personaly, anything above 1.75v seems unsafe to me, but many people run at 1.9v and 2.1v all day.

Now that makes sense. So I'll go back to the base settings and start raising until I become unstable. Then I'll goose up the power a touch and so forth. Thanks for the help. I knew this was the place to go!

Back