• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will windows remain a free open source OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think you are very confused. Just because XP corp does not have activation does not mean it is open source software that is legal to download. Windows XP64 has a public beta version free to download now that will expire I believe in 12 months. Microsoft has never made an open source operating system.

Windows was never an open source OS, and we all know that. I think that your comment/question is in regards to the recent 'code' leak histaria that is in the news. Rest assured that M$ will defend their OS to the end, not to be open source.

I think he misunderstood the meaning of open source.

What I think autoMATTic was trying to say, in a amusing way was ' when 64 is released, will we still be able to get hold of a corporate version and not worry about activation ?'

In short, will the release of 64 mean we will have to start paying for windows.

The answer should have been, pirating is very naughty, Bill works very hard for that money, he turns out a mighty fine OS, and deserves every $$$.

TDF.

Actually the only one who knows what he meant is him. The corporate version is not free and will not be free. Warez is not allowed to be discussed on this forum.

Actually he probobally is the only one who knows what he meant. (god I hate pedants) Thats why I said 'I think' thats twice you've displayed a problem with reading and or understanding.

TDF.

TheDogFather said:
I think he misunderstood the meaning of open source.

What I think autoMATTic was trying to say, in a amusing way was ' when 64 is released, will we still be able to get hold of a corporate version and not worry about activation ?'

In short, will the release of 64 mean we will have to start paying for windows.

The answer should have been, pirating is very naughty, Bill works very hard for that money, he turns out a mighty fine OS, and deserves every $$$.

TDF.

I assure you, I know what open source means. You cant be serious when you say Bill Gates deserves every penny,.....or are you. I never knew Microsoft fanboys existed.:eek:

autoMATTic said:

I assure you, I know what open source means. You cant be serious when you say Bill Gates deserves every penny,.....or are you. I never knew Microsoft fanboys existed.:eek:

Since you know what open source means then what is this thread about? You clearly state in the title that MS is an Open Source OS and Ask if it will stay that way. Since you know what an open source OS is then you very well know that windows is not an open source OS. even if every line of microsoft windows XP was leaked would still not make it an open source OS. Please enlighten us with the actual meaning of this thread.

well i don't know what this thread is about, but putting windows and openSource in one sentence grapped everybody's attention on this forum heh.

Windows?? Or any other MS product, FREE????:clap: :clap: :clap: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! OPEN SOURCE??????? LMAO!!!! We have a comedian. I reall can't say what I think of you sir, but anyone here who has seen the Stanley Kubric film, Full Metal Jacket, knows what I would love to say...... Bottom line, nothing worth having from M$ or Bill Gates, will ever be free. And don't say Windows media player cuz that comes with any Windows OS, upgrades are free, but that's it. Soory pal, but if you want open source get Linux, or find some ghetto OS on the internet somewhere. Jesus, free Windows! Ahh ahahaha, real knee slapper there pal!

autoMATTic said:

You cant be serious when you say Bill Gates deserves every penny,.....or are you. I never knew Microsoft fanboys existed.:eek:

Could you enlighten me? I'm pretty sure that 50 million homes, are happy with Windows, I know I am. And hey, it's not like he started the company from the ground up, hell, he probably didn't even "do" anything.

Yea Windows is great oh no windows is perfect and better than anything else. NOT

I just reinstalled WinXP on my machine winxp sp1a build 2600 lets see how much trouble I've gone through.
1. 1st time I installed XP with no service packs CD it recognized my HPT Raid and was happy. This time didn't and I had to install outdated drivers so my device is to be recognized (I never downloaded the new drivers I never thought that I needed them bec/ winXP already recognized my hardware before)
2. in the 2nd step of installing windows asked if I keep my junk drivers or replace them with updates version of drivers that already existed on CD why didn't just recognized them in the 1st place?
3. I made 3 accounts and ran the machine 2 profiles worked fine the last profile errored when my bro tried to switch to classic theme. and the funny thing that the other 2 profiles already using classic themes with no problems! what the #$@!?
4. so why did I reinstall windows? why didn;t I try the repair and/or recover? well both didn;t work and errored out
5. what really happened in the 1st how did I screw up windows xp? my sister tried to switch from my account to hers and boom windows kept rebooting.
6. Hey maybe I should tried backing it up or made a diff hardware profile and maybe you should've backed up my NT OS kernel. Hey it's windows something else is gona crash and I don't have enough HD space to back that junk up. I found out that installing take less time time than trying to restore/recover it!

Other great experinces with different windows version: I think I need to write a book about lets say that I got tons of BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) from windows 2k pro and finally after SP4 my win2kpro is working fine if there is no hardware changes and stanby mode actually worked! Windows 95, 98 & ME gee I don;t know where to start from so I'm not starting! I think I was happy with windows 3.11 and NT4.

READ this:
You can install MacOS X in less than 20minutes. I did that on an older iBook and wait OS X is way cheaper than XP. wait my friend has been running MacOS X over a yr and he tries so hard to crash it and it only crashed twice! what about Linux/UNIX it's a very long story so not saying anything about it for now.

and yea happy 50mil peep with windows well let me say that @ the IT dept we get many calls cheering up windows!

God Bless MICROSOFT

Fanboy, that's a good one. Oh wait, you use windows, and are obviously interested in continuing to steal it:rolleyes:

You expect all those users calling in with problems with microsoft products to not have problems using unix/linux(other than osx)?

so it's not perfect, name something better and more modular? especially for the common computer illiterate user

fadirocks said:
Yea Windows is great oh no windows is perfect and better than anything else. NOT

I just reinstalled WinXP on my machine winxp sp1a build 2600 lets see how much trouble I've gone through.
1. 1st time I installed XP with no service packs CD it recognized my HPT Raid and was happy. This time didn't and I had to install outdated drivers so my device is to be recognized (I never downloaded the new drivers I never thought that I needed them bec/ winXP already recognized my hardware before)
2. in the 2nd step of installing windows asked if I keep my junk drivers or replace them with updates version of drivers that already existed on CD why didn't just recognized them in the 1st place?
3. I made 3 accounts and ran the machine 2 profiles worked fine the last profile errored when my bro tried to switch to classic theme. and the funny thing that the other 2 profiles already using classic themes with no problems! what the #$@!?
4. so why did I reinstall windows? why didn;t I try the repair and/or recover? well both didn;t work and errored out
5. what really happened in the 1st how did I screw up windows xp? my sister tried to switch from my account to hers and boom windows kept rebooting.
6. Hey maybe I should tried backing it up or made a diff hardware profile and maybe you should've backed up my NT OS kernel. Hey it's windows something else is gona crash and I don't have enough HD space to back that junk up. I found out that installing take less time time than trying to restore/recover it!

Other great experinces with different windows version: I think I need to write a book about lets say that I got tons of BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) from windows 2k pro and finally after SP4 my win2kpro is working fine if there is no hardware changes and stanby mode actually worked! Windows 95, 98 & ME gee I don;t know where to start from so I'm not starting! I think I was happy with windows 3.11 and NT4.

READ this:
You can install MacOS X in less than 20minutes. I did that on an older iBook and wait OS X is way cheaper than XP. wait my friend has been running MacOS X over a yr and he tries so hard to crash it and it only crashed twice! what about Linux/UNIX it's a very long story so not saying anything about it for now.

and yea happy 50mil peep with windows well let me say that @ the IT dept we get many calls cheering up windows!

God Bless MICROSOFT

Let it be known that BSODs are a pain yes, however did you ever look into what might be causing them? I am a firm believer that everything you encounter on a computer system happens for a reason, that’s just logical all-together. You say your repair/recovery errored out, yes, well I used to have this problem ALL THE TIME, and then I began utilizing one of MS' better tools, known as CHKDSK. Erroring out of installs/repairs typically lies between the integrity of the CD and the integrity of the HDD; files don’t fail to copy just because the OS stinks in your opinion.

On that note let me tell you Linux UNIX is beautiful, however what you do not realize is that Windows brought the computer to the home, plain and simple. For example, give someone an ordinary person a Gentoo Linux ISO based installation disk, and give someone a Windows disk, then put them on the clock for total installation time, then see how easy it is to re-state all of your above comments.

Bill Gates worked for every penny he is in possession of at this point, don’t get me wrong, MS' tactics are very corporate (duh), but you have to crawl before you can run, and he put in his work for that company and took it to the heights it has achieved thus far, show me another pair of ordinary high school computer geek friends (Paul Allen) that have made such an impact on the world.

I love these forums to death, and love the discussion it brings forth, but please for everyone else's sake, control the cynical, ignorant opinions before you go judging software that many developers make a living from.

Back