• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will windows remain a free open source OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
fadirocks said:

6. Hey maybe I should tried backing it up or made a diff hardware profile and maybe you should've backed up my NT OS kernel. Hey it's windows something else is gona crash and I don't have enough HD space to back that junk up. I found out that installing take less time time than trying to restore/recover it!

Other great experinces with different windows version: I think I need to write a book about lets say that I got tons of BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) from windows 2k pro and finally after SP4 my win2kpro is working fine if there is no hardware changes and stanby mode actually worked!

That is just WRONG!! It takes me about 1:40 hours total to finish installing winXP (25 mins), installing all the UPdates (+15 mins) and all the software I usualy use like Anti-Virus (+10mins), MS Office (+25-30 mins), some games (+15-20 mins), and it takes me ONLY 10 minutes to Restore it with Norton Ghost! that's a 90 minute difference!!

And about Win2K - that was my best OS so far (running xpPro now), never got any BSOD.. oh except that one time when my ram gone bad, but after exchanging it for a new one, it was rocksolid again :)

Originally posted by DJ Switch

Let it be known that BSODs are a pain yes, however did you ever look into what might be causing them? I am a firm believer that everything you encounter on a computer system happens for a reason, that’s just logical all-together.

You are 1000% right! That is something that nobody even thinks about before they say something. :)

Last edited:
freakin BSOD! your blahblah crashed bec/ something you installed lately or change of hardware

Here is the list of my BSODs and why happened mostly in 2k pro
1. BIOS cache/shadow
2. video shadow/cache
3. Diff RAM outputs but worked fine on Linux
4. hash corruption (recover and repair didn't help)
5. profile corruption (easy to fix)
6. hooking up sound cable from CDROM drive to Sound Card
7. Installing ZIP drive software
8. coming back from standby
9. coming back from hibernate
10. installing new direct X
11. many nVidia drivers caused BSOD last one 53.03 working fine
12. connecting a dialup connection!
13. connecting to a hub

I've recieved many BSODs but I don't blame Microsoft for most part but Junk hardware & software that I've put in that caused such errors

For example most my problems were just plain nVidia drivers screwing up my life or creative junk too

Yea I like to go to extremes about hating things and go to extreme that backing up is not usefull and stuff it's just me I am nuts and hey I'm using windows and most peep who call us for IT help they have no clue how to use their machines and usually ending up installing worms and viruses from their emails! so yea yes

The most hated linux I used is Redhat and the funny thing that both my servers run redhat hah
the easiest linux is Mandrake (easier than windows) all you gota do is click click and click so I don't think that all linux distros are perfect but they usually do better than windows in both recognizing hardware and stability!

to all who mentioned about windows license, my school pays $250k per yr for unlimited licenses from Microsoft. actually it's not the Univ pays it's the state, GM, chrysler and student tuition!

oh yes for Bill Gates fans,
1st he didn't make DOS he used money from IBM and bought off an indian dude and 2ndly windows is a rip off from Mac OS

last comment read the title of this thread and you'll know what I'm doing

fadirocks said:

oh yes for Bill Gates fans,
1st he didn't make DOS he used money from IBM and bought off an indian dude and 2ndly windows is a rip off from Mac OS

last comment read the title of this thread and you'll know what I'm doing

heh, you're right, he didn't. Did you watch that movie about Bill Gates and uh.. that other Mac dude? ( forgot his name).
"The silicon wars"? Well, even mac didn't make their first GUI.. riped off Xerox (you can say bought, but...) >> then windows 3.1 riped it off too.

Well for the stability part.. windows might not be the best one out there, but if you have known-to-be-good hardware and all the stuff installed right it must perform o.k.

Ever thought why there are so many more viruses and hackers who'd rather find so called "leaks" in windows code then messin' with other OS'es? (OSX, Linux, UNIX etc.) Well because there are 95% of world population using it! Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's where many problems come from, nobody cares to make viruses for other boring os'es that aren't used much :cool:... I'm sure, that if OSX for example would've been as popular as windows today, apple pple would also struggle from the worms and viruses like all popular MyDoom (think.. why did the dude who created it, had a message inside the code: "Just doing my JOB, sorry" ? hmmm) is...
I guess everybody just "loves" Windows ;).

P.S. lol.. my other avatar is on vacation :cool:

Last edited:
oh man this thread is dying! lets add spices

1. speaking of BUILD 2600 do any of you guys buy the 2600 mag?
2. How do you feel if Microsoft will produce their own version of linux or maybe use Darwin and incoperate it into windows?

Back