• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Photoshop System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Homer

hello everyone! my brother asked me too build him a machine that well do photochop and some browsing. does this look like a decent machine too work with?

1.8A Retail
Abit IS7-E
40gb Maxtor 7200rpm ata133
512 (2x256) Kingston PC3200 Value
Antec SLK1600 W/300W PS
LiteOn Combo Drive
im gonna be giving him my FireGL 8700

of course its gonna be oc'ed too its stablest (is that a word stablest :rolleyes: ) but i want ur guys input if this looks okay of a setup...thx!

More ram, at least a gig for any photoshop heavy system. It makes a huge difference. It would even be better to get some pc2100 a gig or more than to have only 512 in that system.

edit: I agree that chip should fly but even @ 3 ghz your still not even touching that pc 3200 so buy more of a lower rated speed ram.

i can use impact photo 8 on my system with no problem IE no slow downs or anything and i only have 512meg ram

u dont really need over 512meg ram so i dont know why people get it :-/

i can always opt out to get a single stick instead and later on upgrade him with another stick. im not sure if there is any difference between dual channel & single channel. :rolleyes:

wouldnt a 64bit CPU be better for stuff like that?? (im not really sure just seems like from what ive heard)

It's not really the 64-bit technology that makes the A64's and such perform so well - it's more chip architecture and stuff. I agree on the one gig of RAM though - that kind of imaging stuff gets very memory intensive. If it's the occassional photoshop stuff though, and nothing big and professional, then you can get away with 512mb.

Photoshop draws HUGLY from system memory. For advanced Photoshop usage, 1 gig is HIGHLY HIGHLy recommened. I second the notion to get slower rated ram, if necessary, to double from 512 to a gig. Your bottlenecks are going to be load times for complex layered images - all memory dependent.

Steven4563 said:

People get it because a professional Photoshop workstation requires a minimum of 1 gig of RAM to be functional. Try doing 20 or more layers with filters, masks and effects on a 6000 x 4000 pixel poster with 512 MB; happy crashing. The rule for serious Photoshop work is the more QUALITY memory, the better.

I also highly recommend Corsair XMS memory PC 3200 or above. It makes a significant difference in response times when you can set the timings to 2-2-2-5. Dual channel memory will also deliver better response times for layer effects and filtering.

Also, if you intend to do any serious photoshop work, you should get the fastest drive you can afford to run your scratch disk. I would recommend a WD raptor at the minimum, a 15,000 RPM SCSI if you can afford it.

well really he just started getting into photoshop so i think 512 well be okay for now and then later hook him up with another stick. but thx anyways for the suggestions on the ram... i thought maybe u guys would suggest a better ps for ocing ;):eek:

Steven4563 said:
i can use impact photo 8 on my system with no problem IE no slow downs or anything and i only have 512meg ram

Its usually a BF1942 or esp DC, thing, it rules to be first in the map.....esp when you can load it faster or as fast as the server...

well, if you think hes really going to get into it, then you may want to consider a bigger hard drive, 40 gigs is good for just Photoshop, but if you want to get other progs on there. And photoshop saved files are much bigger than normal files. even at low quality a 120x 120 (pixel) is 11-13 KB...A bigger HD may just be something to think about, but i guess you could always add another one.

Steven4563 said:

Ditto. I have 512 Corsair XMS 2700 and I use photoshop, 3Ds Max, and Maya with no problems. But i'm going to upgrade anyways. :)

Homer said:
hello everyone! my brother asked me too build him a machine that well do photochop and some browsing. does this look like a decent machine too work with?

1.8A Retail
Abit IS7-E
40gb Maxtor 7200rpm ata133
512 (2x256) Kingston PC3200 Value
Antec SLK1600 W/300W PS
LiteOn Combo Drive
im gonna be giving him my FireGL 8700

of course its gonna be oc'ed too its stablest (is that a word stablest :rolleyes: ) but i want ur guys input if this looks okay of a setup...thx!

Make sure that's a solid PSU, and at $0.25-0.50/GB, I'd buy him a biger HD, or two 40s in RAID0 (Two Raptors in RAID0? :D )

You don't need PC3200 for P4 1.8A. Its stock FSB is only 100. Some PC2700 will be more than enough even if your 1.8A can reach 2.7GHZ. At 2.7GHZ the FSB is 150, and PC2700 is 166. It is a better idea to get 2 x 512MB PC2700 than 1 x 512MB PC3200.

my brother did a photoshop picture that had like ummm, 1200 layers??? he did it on my p3 866 with 512mb pc133 with a 20gb hard drive. That think would NEVER lock up, Id run photoshop, outlook, fireworks, trillian, frontpage and dreamweaver. So Id go with 2x256 of some XMS Pro 3200 LL.

If this is supposed to be some type of dedicated Photoshop rig, then 512MB is a joke. Like others have said, 1 gig minimum. Also, you need 2 hard drives minimum. Keep your system and scratch on separate drives. Running everyhting off one hard drive, even a fast Raptor, is asking for trouble. Oh, and make damn sure that rig is stable when overclocked. I'd hunt you down if Photoshop crashed out on me in the middle of a project :D

Like the others have said, 1gb ram minimum. I'm personally not a fan of the idea of a 1.8A, I'd consider a 2.4C or a 2.53B instead, considering mem is huge here the C's high FSB means your mem will be going faster too.

A few peices of info such as how serious you are and what your budget is would help

I have a feeling that some of the other folks here consider chopping up heads and pasting onto another body "serious photoshopping".

If you are getting by with 512 megs, then I think there are some disparities on the types of projects that I have in mind when I think of "photoshopping".

Back