• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my system underpowered? and If yes, could you guys recommend me a PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raj

Registered
Here is my system config :

AMD Athlon 1.4 Ghz T-Bird 266 FSB with retail HSF
PC2100 512MB DDR RAM
MSI K3T Ultra-ARU (With onboard ATA133 Promise RAID Controller + 4 USB 2.0 ports)
Maxtor 6L040J2 40GB 7200RPM 8.5ms access time, ATA/133, 2048K Cache HDD
Liteon 40X/12X/48X CD-RW DRIVE___ LTR-40125S
Liteon DVD 16x LTD-163D
ASUS V6600 SDRAM SDR GeForce 32MB
Philips Acoustic Edge
Creative DeskTop Theater™ 5.1 DTT2200 Speakers
Realtek chipset 10/100 Network Card
Sony 1.44MB FDD
LG FLATRON 775FT PLUS 17"
Microsoft Intellimouse (Optical) Explorer 3.0 USB
Func3D Surface 1030
Microsoft Sidewinder GamePad
TVS Gold 104 Keyboard
HP Deskjet 640C
Aopen QF45A housing with Aopen ATX-300GT 300w PSU

Frequently I have problems with my system when it comes to shutting down and I think this is because of my PSU which is underpowered. My PSU states that +3.3v / +5v max is 150w. To be more specific, let me explain the problem clearly. Whenever I try to shut down my system, it goofs up on the last minute...I mean shutting down and all the windows messages are ok but when it is just abt to shutdown...it restarts!....I've tried everything and I'm still not able to solve this restart issue. My motherboard BIOS and eveyrthing are up to date. I've changed every part to see if it was some incompatibility problem but still couldn't find a solution. The only one part I haven't switched is the PSU. I have a UPS hooked onto my system and whenever the power goes...the system restarts even though I have a UPS!....then when it begins all over again and begins to load the windows screen it restarts and the process goes on and on.....very irritating. The whole reason of my buying a UPS has kinda gone waste coz. I cant save files when I want to because of this stupid restart problem. The UPS is fine and ok. I'm saying that coz. I tested it with a P4 and an AMD XP system with no problem.

Anyways nuff ranting I guess...I'm getting a new ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and I want to know what PSU you guys would recommend? ....yes yes, I've read the stickies very carefully and have come to a conclusion that Foxtron and Antec supplies are best. Now here are some considerations I want to take into before making a purchase.

1. I want my PSU to last for 5 years from now:).....
2. I dont mind spending extra money for a good quality PSU.
3. Brand dont matter for me...Its not like I'm hell bent upon Antec.
4. Good Price Performance ratio

My gut feeling is that I should go for the Fortron- P530XF530W coz. its only $70. In one of the posts here Larva(member here ) said that the 530W one would be a better one if one would look at the price difference of the 350w and 400w. Just for another $10 I would prefer getting the 530W one.....Since the 350W and 400W ones are top class I assume the 530W model will also be good....

Can someone help me out with this? I've been breaking my head over this from the last couple of days.

oh btw, I do not overclock.

Thanks and looking forward to your humble answers

Raj

i don't think your shut down problem is being caused by your power supply. i had this problem on my GATEWAY, and even after i reformatted and used the dvdrom, cdrw, and video card in my a computer i built, i had the same problem. i'm not sure what it was but i had the same problem with a different power supplly.

anyway, if you're looking for a new power supply, i'm REAL happy with my fortron 350w. it's actually rated at 454w so this will last me or anyone else a very long time. they're cheap too. around $30 at neweegg.

thanks for that torchedlh....do you think this is good enough for the next 5 years? :)......there is no way I want to purchase a PSU again for a long time....so I dont mind chipping a little bit extra for now....

Raj

well those rails are kinda off. but software shouldn't be relied upon to find the real voltage. a mutlimter is best to do that.

in 5 years, we might have a new formfactor other than ATX... so i'm not sure if you wanna think that far in advance. it's up to you, the 350w will last you awhile, and by the time it's reached it's limit, higher watt psu's will come down in price....

thanks for that torchedlh....do you think this is good enough for the next 5 years? :)......there is no way I want to purchase a PSU again for a long time....so I dont mind chipping a little bit extra for now....

Raj

the 350 watt power supply might be good enough for five years if you don't change computers...

if you really want more power then get the 530 watt fortron for $70...from newegg

but if 350 is all you need now...then get that one for half the price and if you need a new computer in 5 years then get whatever you need at that time for $30...about the same final price and you are sure to have a supply that will work with whatever the computer power requirements are at that time...

The PSU might be the problem. Any good name brand 350 or 400 watt PSU should be good. If you are looking for one to last, get a nice 500 watt + one, as long as we stay with ATX that should last quite a while.

Back