• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc'ing, messing sytem forever?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syberspy9

ok well you can see my sytem specs bellow in my signature.
well i oced my comp for the first time last night and i want to know whats going wrong.
first off im lucky i have a good cpu 2.4C it runs stock cooling at stock speed max load 41C and idle 30C so i wanted to use my mobo auto ocing (P.A.T i think)
so i go into the bios and chose up to 30% oc so i started at 5 then 10 then 20 then 30 (running them to the max and testing them in bettween.
well there is also a setting you can trun to turbo standerd or auto
well before i oc'ed i had it sett to turbo all the time so i just left it at turbo
but when i whent to the 30% ai oc then it hung up my sytem was running but my screen got no signel or somthing so it whent into suspend.
so i reset the jumper and it said new cpu,ok w/e!!??
then i set the bios up normally and then i went ino mbm5 and my computer and both said intel 2.4C then bellow 1.7ghz
so i went into bios and set the setting to turbo well it hung on me so turbo is a no no i geuss (i didnt oc i just sett it to turbo) so now turbo always makes my sytem hang (why???)so i oced it 10%
and it set my 2.4 back to 2.4 even after i took of the 10% oc

so here is what i wana know:
#1 why does turbo never work now evn if i dont oc (it used to work fine!?)
#2 why does the 30% oc not work??? my temps at 20% turbo (before any crashes ever happend were 45Cmax and 38C idle)
so why cant i use 30%oc or turbo???

Well, it probably needs more voltage. If I were you I would not use this auto OC thing. I would not trust it. I would just raise the FSB instead for a number of reasons:

1.) It could be buggy and that could cause a problem

2.) It might change the vcore around

3.) It may do something funky with the dividers and cause the PCI/AGP to run way out of sync.

4.) I would have no clue what my proc was running at except 20% or something.

Just OC normally using the dividers to keep the AGP/PCI within spec and raise the voltage when it becomes unstable. You want to test it in windows to see if it is stable using Folding@Home and or Prime 95. Also, watch the temps and dont raise the voltage too high. Good Luck! -THE AMD AND COOLIN MAN :cool: :cool:

ok ill check that out (with the ai ocer i went to 20% turbo no problims even maxxed out and temps load were 45C with stock cpu hsf and it was about 2879mhz (man i cant wait untill i get it to like 3000
(whats a good oc for a 2.4C??? can i get it to 3.2??
(i think my cpu was locked down to a 2.4C but thats because the market demanded 2.4C's when really this could have been a 3.2 or 2.8 or somthing this wasent ment to be a 2.4
im thinking thi because my cpu runs so cool (41C load 48hr's with prime 95) when some ppl run like 50-60 max with stock cooling) ive heard those temps from ppl in the cooling section well im hoping this is a good oc'er

I remember reading at a site like hardocp that usually settings like turbo or aggressive settings try to push your ram timings to as low as possible. And some ram out there can't handle timings like that so it crashes.

Even though I have an amd system, I got a turbo thing on it too. It'll lower the timings. What kind of ram you got?

ok well that link was help full but well ya not the best for my needs.
the most fsb ive used was 166 and that brought me to 3hgz (40C idle)
but i wana oc and use all the options not just the fsb i wana use evry thing and i think ill get a better oc (more stable)

but ill have to get back to this once i check out what all the bios options are then all ask you about them
so ill be back in 3 days

If that ram has rated low timings (like advertised timings) then you're all set man. Forget the buggy turbo and go in manually. :D If it's one of those value ram, then it's timing will be around CL 3 or CL 2.5, which is probably why it's not working.

Also, like someone said earlier, turbo and aggressive timings can be buggy as heck. It's better to tweak things yourself. Btw, gl with hitting 3 ghz. :)

Don't use any automatic settings. You will not understand what is going on with your system and neither will we = bad overclock.

Manually raise the FSB. Manually lower the RAM timings.

The most important aspect of overclocking, like @MDOCER hinted at, is understanding what is going on inside that box. You need to know exactly what the settings are so that you know how much further you can push them. There isn't anything the automatic settings can do that you can't do manually.

What are your RAM timings at? If you don't understand RAM timings, you can look in the Memory forum and they are explained there.

The RAM timings and FSB and Vcore are the most important settings. Just ask on any bios settings you do not understand.

I used the search tool for "bios guide" and found this GREAT guide:

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=7&var1=18

Scroll down half way and click on free access. This will teach you a lot about mysterious bios settings. :)

all i know is that i tryed setting them all at there lowest like
2-2-2-4 or somthing low like that and it woulnt register so ill get back to once i know what my bios wants ok peace out for 3 days

Back