• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans and amps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

What exactly does the amperage of a fan represent? For example, if there was a fan that had the exact same CFM and Noise and RPM specs, but had a lower amount of amps that it drew, would there be any difference? Would it take away the sound of the motor a bit maybe? Or perhaps make the fan not get as hot?

Just curiouse becuase I noticed something interesting.- THE AMD AND COOLIN MAN :cool: :cool:

Last edited:
less amps = less power used = less drain on the psu.
mobo fan headers have a limit to how many amps they can give, so do fan controllers.

I see. Thanks. The reason I posted was becuase I have noticed that all of the smart fan 2's I have gotten seem to run on less amps. For example, my really old one had this whine to it and ran on .7 something higher amps. The next one I got had none of that whining and only fan on .7 amps. My new one, only runs on .4. And that one seems to be a bit quieter. Although the first one did actually go to 6000 RPM, but the new ones only go to 5100 or so. I am wondering becuase it seems with the heavy usage, these fans are dying on me. The first 2 died, but I am wondering if this third one that runs on less amps might not burn out as fast.

I think the fan cannot handle the backflow from being on a heatsink and running at full speed for quite some time. But perhaps the older ones were getting to many amps or something. Thanks. -THE AMD AND COOLIN MAN :cool: :cool:

The amperage just tells you how much current the fan will draw at the specific voltage.
But if you have two fans with the same cfm and rpm you can be pretty sure that the one with the higher amp rating will run hotter. All that extra energy must go somewhere. And "somewhere" is almost always heat
If you can pick one, go for the one with the lowest amp rating.

ok thanks. Anyways, I think what is happening is my SF2's are overheating. I have not heard anyone have trouble with the vantec tornado, I think I am going to get one of those instead. It is under one year so I think I am going to complain to this place I got my Volcano9 at and get them to give me my money back and Ill get a zalman and a 92mm tornado. I was going to go to watercooling but I do not have the money yet. :-/

Here is a page which may help:

* Electronics 101 *

excerpt:

Voltage: This is much more appropriately called potential difference. In our atomic model it is the force that pushes or pulls the electrons through the wire. Voltage can either be positive (+), neutral or negative (-) and is measured in, you guessed it, Volts. To calculate voltage simply subtract the highest voltage in the circuit (or the most positive) from the smallest (or most negative). Some common examples: 9V-0V=9V, 12V-5V=7V, 12V-(-12V)=24V, etc.

Current: In our atomic model this is simply the flow of electrons through a conductor. It is measured is Amperes or Amps and expressed (in equations) not as 'C' like you would expect but as 'I'. Current is what give electricity its kick, I've had 20,000V passed through my body, it tickled; this is because it had virtually no current behind it.

Resistance: This is simply any resistance posed to the movement of the electrons in a circuit, this will reduce the voltage and limit the current. It is represented as 'R' and is measured in Ohms. Everything has a resistance, resistors (of course) are easy ways to lower the voltage/current. Remember, even wire has a resistance but we tend to ignore this because it is so small.

Hope that helps ... have fun modding! :)

Back