• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Booting Gentoo and XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

I want to dual boot my computer, but right now the drives are in nfts. I was told that i would need to get some program to unallocated some of the nfts space. does anyone know of a free program i can do this with?

Partition Magic can do it for you. Last time I downloaded it, it was shareware. It got the job done though.

You can use QTparted, which is a partition magic clone for Linux.

It comes on a Knoppix CD (free). Also, you may find an alternate installation method for gentoo using by Knoppix to be easier. I believe they have some threads or instructions about it at gentoo.org.

i printed out the whole guide of gentoo steps 1-11, and i tried following the knoppix installation but i got stuck at the fdisk part, if QTparted works then ill try it. and it seems in knoppix that you can't customize certain things like the harddrive performace options etc, can you do that later?

DMA should be enabled by default in Knoppix.

cfisk is easier to use than fdisk, but you need some unformatted space on your hard drive first. So you should run QTparted to resize your partitions before partitioning with cfdisk.

Also, it's important that you defragment the partition you want to shrink from windows before resizing it.

Thread on knoppix.net about using qtparted for resizing NTFS partitions- http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3456

wait if i use qt parted how will linux make it so i can have a selected startup?

forget it, im putting linux on a different drive, ill have more question later. lol

Linux installs its own bootlaoder program which can be configured to allow you to select multple OS's. This ordinarily goes into the MBR of the HDD you are booting from.

In gentoo, the bootloader used is called Grub, and you will have to manually configure it.

This might be a problem if your boot drive is a raid array on an unsupported raid controller....

yay more problems.... i guess i could just do it through the bios.

stan03 said:
yay more problems.... i guess i could just do it through the bios.

LOL man... This is what makes you good with computers, dealing with issues.... :)

I have learned more in the six months that I have been running Gentoo than in seven years of using Windows... :cool:

I just used partition magic to unallocate 10 or so gb at the end of my os drive, then went ahead and used partition magic again to make a 100gb linux partition (for /boot), a 1024mb linux swap partition, and the rest a linux partition (for /).

It's easy stuff really ^_^

i got a new hdd, yay hopefully grub will like my raid setup

Back