• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S Bios Dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hellfire

I was quite stupid when I was testing the limits of my rig and setting things in bios when there was a large storm, well anyways when I was saving my bios and it states "Please do not shut off power when bios is saving" or something like that the power goes out and now my board isn't booting at all, I fear the worst. If anyone can hot swap my bios and reflash it for me I would really appreciate it, but if there is a way to fix this please post. Thanks.

Yeah your going to have to buy a hot flash kit. I had to buy one. It was 20 bucks... but It saved my board. Its not a very difficult procedure... but yeah its a real pain the way the board is setup like that. Its really really stupid.

That actually happened to me a couple times :p

The NF7 is actually well guarded against BIOS corruption. B4 you panic try clearing CMOS.

Every time that I thought I killed it, clearing CMOS has always worked.

Besides if worst comes to worst. Places like badflash.com can send you a new chip in like 3days for $20.

My friend jacked his A7n8x BIOS up real bad. In 4 days he was up and running!

Now he's got a backup in case it happens again.

you might be able to get out of it. unplug PSU cable, jump the CMOS jumper and take the battery out. then let it sit. while that is sitting, get yourself to a machine and prepare a boot floppy. you can prepare a boot floppy with dr. dos: http://www.phoenix.com/korea/support/download/dr-dos/

put the correct bios revision for your mobo on to this floppy. also, put the awdflash.exe from the asus site on to this floppy (latest is 8.23Z i believe for the a7n8x brand of boards). edit autoexec.bat on your floppy, and put this in there:

@echo off
AWDFLASH.EXE BIOS.bin /sn /py

replace BIOS with your bios filename

save it.

then go back to the machine. hook up a floppy, and you can disconnect the IDE drives if u like (not necessary though). if you would like to see Award's Boot Block, you can hook up a PCI video card, otherwise you will attempt a "blind" flash. take out the AGP card if you hook up the PCI video card. put the battery back in, and put CMOS jumper back to default. boot up with the floppy in the drive, when it powers up if you have a PCI video card, you should see Award Boot Block, and the floppy light should light up. You should now see it attempting to flash from the floppy. If you dont have a PCI video card, then you should just listen to the floppy and make sure it is reading from the floppy. If all was well, your machine should reboot after a few mins, and your machine will POST normally, and you can enter BIOS.

If bootblock doesnt kick in right away, turn off the machine, unplug, wait, then plug back in, and power up. If after a few attempts bootblock still hasnt kicked in, then I'm afraid that your BIOS chip is completely corrupted. You will have to get yourself another BIOS chip or you can hotflash the chip in another Nforce2 board.

good luck.

Last edited:
Back