• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TazExtreme3

What do you guys think of this being in a watercooling system? would it just blow tubes apart or is it feasible? Just wondering since I have one.

EDIT:// Second thought, This thing would probably heat up the water too fast, Unless I had that big 12000 gallon res :D

Last edited:
That thing does not put out 25PSI, which is, I believe, the maximum pressure our tubing can take. That thing draws 575 watts. That will hurt your system much more than not using a pump at all (assuming your radiator is directly above your waterblock.)

I was gonna say, 5 amps at 110volts is nasty.

Plus, it's only submergable. Also, it's gonna be loud.

I actually haven't dove into the watercooling thing yet but I'm seriously considering it, I'm not too worried about it for my current computer but when I get my A64 or Prescott or whatever I decide to get I will then invest in watercooling (BTW, I would never use that pump cause it is seriously noisy, I just tested it in my bathtub and got everything soaking wet including my dog :))

That thing does not put out 25PSI, which is, I believe, the maximum pressure our tubing can take. That thing draws 575 watts. That will hurt your system much more than not using a pump at all (assuming your radiator is directly above your waterblock.)

Tubing can take way more than 25 psi. How do you figure it would hurt the system?

5 amps at 110volts is nasty

Why?

The most important reason this pump probably wouldn't work is that sump pumps are usually rated for intermittent use.

squeakygeek said:

The most important reason this pump probably wouldn't work is that sump pumps are usually rated for intermittent use.

I thought the same thing, but the description says:
For use with recirculating fountains

which is a 24/7 applicatiaon, so it may have a reasonable useful life...

AngryAlpaca said:
I don't figure it would hurt the system... What is the pressure that tubing can take?

i have Vinyl tubing with a 1/8" wall at my work for the soda dispensers, they have about 60psi on them for about 2years now with no problems.
tubing should be the least of your problems, heatercores can't handle high psi, i think 25 is kind of pushing it on a heatercore..

I don't figure it would hurt the system

That thing draws 575 watts. That will hurt your system much more than not using a pump at all (assuming your radiator is directly above your waterblock.)

Please explain.

What is the pressure that tubing can take?

It depends on the tubing. Sometimes it is printed on the wall of the tubing, sometimes you have to look at a spec sheet. I was looking around at Mcmaster, and it looks like some tubings have a max rated pressure of around 25, but I don't think it would burst anywhere near that low.

I mean performance. 575 watts * 0.03C/W (Approximate thermal resistance of procore) = 17.25 degrees above ambient temperature, without his other components.

It draws 5 amps at 115V... The vast majority of pumps put out a LOT of the heat they draw, especially when submerged. Thus, the water will heat up by 17.5 degrees Celcius using this pump, without calculating the wattage input from any other components. So, you'll have ~40C water, and terrible cooling.

Last edited:
AngryAlpaca said:
It draws 5 amps at 115V... The vast majority of pumps put out a LOT of the heat they draw, especially when submerged. Thus, the water will heat up by 17.5 degrees Celcius using this pump, without calculating the wattage input from any other components. Thus, you'll have ~40C water, and terrible cooling.

The pump isn't drawing heat, it's drawing electricity. Some of that electricity will turn into heat, but most of it will be used in moving the water, so you can't use 575 watts in your calculation.

I just now figured out that by "approximate thermal resistance of procore", you might mean a certain heatercore. You should have stated that. Anyway, the c/w will change alot with airflow, so that number may or may not be applicable... and I don't recall him saying he was even going to use a certain heatercore, so the number becomes irrelevant.

A Procore is a heater core from an '86 chevette... Always has been. I said approximate, and it's a rather standard heater core, so I think it's appropriate to use. I CAN use 575 watts, due to such a large percentage of the energy drawn being turned into thermal energy. No, it won't be the most accurate method, but it's accurate enough.

AngryAlpaca said:
A Procore is a heater core from an '86 chevette... Always has been. I said approximate, and it's a rather standard heater core, so I think it's appropriate to use.

So this pump wouldn't work because it wouldn't work with a procore at a certain rate of airflow and water flow? You say the c/w number is aproximate, but the number will vary dramatically with different air/water flows. And who says you would even have to use a procore... or even a heatercore? I think this radiator, for example, would handle the extra heat just fine.

I CAN use 575 watts, due to such a large percentage of the energy drawn being turned into thermal energy. No, it won't be the most accurate method, but it's accurate enough.

There's a huge difference between a "large percentage" and 100%. What kind of percentage is a large percentage, and try to back that up with sources. You can't just say 100% and that's accurate enough. It's accurate enough if it proves your point, I suppose.

I'm using a procore as a standard! It isn't accurate! It can never be! Alright fine. Based upon Cathar's number of 50-60% being transferred inline, that makes the water 10.4C warmer.

AngryAlpaca said:
I'm using a procore as a standard! It isn't accurate! It can never be! Alright fine. Based upon Cathar's number of 50-60% being transferred inline, that makes the water 10.4C warmer.

This pump isn't standard either, so you can't just base your calculations on a standard heatercore with standard flow rates and tell the guy his idea won't work, especially when you know your numbers aren't accurate. Don't forget that even with the same heatercore and airflow, the c/w will go down with a higher flowrate of water, wich will be the case with this pump. I think if this guy was willing to use this pump, he'd be willing to find a radiator that suits the system better than a procore.

Assuming it is rated for a continuous duty cycle, I think this pump would work great with a properly sized radiator.

The difference between my Iwaki 20(60w) to 30(120w) was about 1° (mean of 24 recordings, hourly). The 40(150w) ran about 1.5° hotter than the 20.

Which means, the 50-60% estimate is a pretty good standard.

However, I would imagine that the pumps are a bit more effecient over a certain range. The 575w figure might only drop 30% into the water. There's only one way to find out =p.

Back