• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beware another possible Paypal Scam

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turd Furguson

A little over 2 weeks ago I received an email from Paypal saying I needed to update my account information and that I just needed to log in and check some things. The funny thing is, this email went to my Yahoo email instead of where I have it registered. I do not know if anyone else has received this email but I thorougly believe it is a hoax. The email link is going to taramana @ netfirms.

Here is the information that was included in my email:

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book
Subject: PayPal Account Update
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:48:08 -0800

Dear PayPal ® valued member,

Due to concerns we have for the safety and integrity of the PayPal
community we have issued this message.

It has come to our attention that your PayPal account information needs to be updated.
If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your
records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.
However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.

Once you have updated your account records your PayPal will not be
interrupted and will continue as normal.
Please follow the link below
and update your account information.
http://www.paypal.com.cgi-bin.websc...n&[email protected]/

PayPal Service Department

----------------------------------------------------------

They even included the Paypal picture in the email. I would have notified everyone here sooner but I just checked my email on Yahoo.

Before you just forward it, take a copy of the full email header and paste that into the main email. Forwarding it will replace the header info detailing where the email came from ;)

Yeah, I've gotten a few like that. One even asked me to re-enter my bank info and checking account number. I was like yeah right.

Oh, and whenever PayPay emails you for real, I “think” they always address you by your full name, not valued member. That's something I need to check for sure on, but I think if your name is not on there, it's a hoax.

Hi Silversinksam! Long time, no see. :)

Hey!
I’ve just been busy with work, mountain biking, working on computer stuff, and playing UT2003/2004 whenever I can. :)

I was on newegg reading some of the reviews on the 36 gig raptor drive a week or so ago, and I saw one posted by a “Silversinksam” (I assumed it was you), and that got me thinking about you guys, and I missed you all so I came back to see how everybody was doing. And here I am. :)

Boy you guys have grown a lot since I was last here! The site looks good too.

cyber mouse45 said:
Hey!
I’ve just been busy with work, mountain biking, working on computer stuff, and playing UT2003/2004 whenever I can. :)

I was on newegg reading some of the reviews on the 36 gig raptor drive a week or so ago, and I saw one posted by a “Silversinksam” (I assumed it was you), and that got me thinking about you guys, and I missed you all so I came back to see how everybody was doing. And here I am. :)

Boy you guys have grown a lot since I was last here! The site looks good too.

Thats funny!! I only left one Newegg mini review and you found it !

I only left it because there were so many bogus and idiotic reviews on that drive, some morons were reviewing it even before they even actually had one. :bang head

Anyway glad to see you made it back here, you were missed :)

Hehe, that is funny. I guess it really is a small world huh?

Yeah, I can’t stand it when people post reviews that stupid about a product that they don’t even own. Personally I love my Raptor. It’s by far the best drive I’ve ever bought.

Btw, it’s great to be back! :D

Back