• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stuff they use to stick cpu to heatsinks+fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whats thats tuff called they use to fix the fans or heatsinks in place?
Its a kina pink colour on mine which is still stock from the shop so far.

I was thinking of buying some and doi9ng it all-over again once every now and again just to be thurough :)

Also how on earth do you remove the old stuff? so you can apply new, it gets very hard'ish and is very veru sticky lol.

It depends on if it is the original thermal interface material. If it is, then you don't want to use that again. Get some AS5, Ceramique, or some other thermal paste. As for removal, you need either isopropyl alcohol or maybe a stiff piece of plastic with a straight edge. Gently scrape the old pad off, and reapply some paste to the HS and Processor according to the instructions and remount the HS.

Lighter fluid disolves it, but I wouldnt dump it on your cpu. Put some on a cotton swab or maybe a q-tip. Buy some ceramique, it may save you some heart ache, many people have fried their cpus form incorrect application of silver based paste.

Ahh right

So its thermal paste, of type Ceramique or AS5, thanks :)

And to remove it some alchohol like cleaning fluid, maybe lighter fluid = have both so.
But no putting the fluids on the cpu, [kinda figured that anyways, I would of been well to scared to do that], I will just gently dab at the cpu with cotton buds and cotton wool till it comes off.

Thanks anyways :)

Last edited:
Pink thermal goop is NOT Arctic Silver 5/Arctic Silver Ceramique.

Yes, you can use liquids on your CPU, just don't dip your CPU in them and be sure they've completely evaporated before you put the new TIM on. A qtip works pretty good. 70% rubbing alchohaul (isopropyl I think) will do pretty good, but I had a hard time using it to clean the white thermal good off of my northbridge.

Here are the official instructions on the Arctic Silver Inc. website for applying their (really good) thermal pastes and it includes instructions on removing old stuff, see the AS5 application instructions (step 2).

Back