• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best looking CPU heatsinks + the RAM blocking dilemma - any favorites?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max0r

If you're feeling like TLDR, all I want to know is: what are the best looking CPU heatsinks out there?

Read below if so inclined :D

Basically I'm looking for your ideas about the best looking heatsinks out there to use for a 7700k. They don't have to be the strongest, but they can't be weak either. Mid, or mid-high tier is preferred for performance potential. Bonus points for not blocking view of RAM (the light up RGB Corsair Vengeance DDR4). If I get heavy into 24/7 OCing I will probably delid-re-tim, which should compensate for (or be absolutely necessary no matter what) relative heatsink weakness.

Stuff to keep in mind:

1. I don't think I'll feel particularly compelled to absolutely maximize the overclock I get on air. If I can just get a nice big chunk without too much voltage raise, I'm fine with missing out on the last bits of potential. If the 80/20 rule applies here, that would be fine with me.

2. Ideally, I don't want to block the view or even worse, use, of any RAM slots, which are pretty close to the CPU socket. However, I might be willing to block the view of a slot or two, if a big HS looks good enough (the potential for strapping a light up 120mm fan might be included in this looks category, but it also has to look relatively good regardless).

3. A heatsink that will never reach the RAM slots, even with a fan on that side, will likely be weaker. This can be compensated for with the delid/tim-replacement solution, I suppose, which is something I'll likely do later when I get a serious case of OC fever.

4. Either style heatsink has a tendency to be quite ugly on whichever sides it is uncovered by fans, especially the top. Noctua is particularly guilty of this ;)

5. Unusual configurations will be considered, such as the old fan blowing down toward motherboard heatsink style, etc. If they aren't too weak. I actually really like that particular style since it has the fan facing out toward the case window. Not sure if it would be too wide though for the RAM slots.

6. I eventually plan to have all 4 RAM slots on the motherboard filled up, and a large style heatsink will almost certainly either prevent their use, or at the very least block the view of 1 or more of the sticks. This can sometimes be solved by things such as not putting a fan on the RAM side, but this can lead to other problems like lowered cooling potential, especially if any other fans aren't pushing air into the heatsink. If the fan by the rear of the case is pushing, then this would introduce case flow issues as I prefer the ones in the front by the HDDs to be intakes.

7. In some cases a large HS can be oriented to have fans pushing/pulling on the top/bottom instead, but they often have an even bigger footprint when turned sideways like that (but sometimes not).

8. In light of 6/7 I'm definitely willing to consider trying unusual/modified orientation/fan setups if they are effective enough not to gimp the cooling to all hell

Last edited:
I've always been a fan (pun intended) of the look of the Dark Rock series by Be Quiet!. The black on black just looks nice but if you're looking for an eye catcher black wont do it. I like the look of the Phanteks PH-TC14PE & PH-TC12DX if you want to add to the color scheme. There are four colors available and they are fantastic coolers to boot.

Well...thats pretty much up to you, what cpu cooler looks best. What i may think looks awesome, you may not. Half these things look similar anyway, lol!

Hyper 212 is basic and looks good. Noctua nhd-15... but its big...

What coolers have YOU looked at so far?

Noctua NH-D15 is one of the best but also one of the largest coolers. There is enough space to install TridentZ or other tall memory kits because of its shape but you may need to install fan in a bit different way ( higher or something ) if you wish to use all memory slots.
For me most coolers are quite bad looking. These that look good usually perform average. I like how Cryorig coolers look. In general good performance and looks in one -> http://www.cryorig.com/product.php and can get additional fan covers. However only their lower series cooler is RGB - http://www.cryorig.com/h7ql.php looks good and shouldn't be any issues with memory compatibility.

I've always been a fan (pun intended) of the look of the Dark Rock series by Be Quiet!. The black on black just looks nice but if you're looking for an eye catcher black wont do it. I like the look of the Phanteks PH-TC14PE & PH-TC12DX if you want to add to the color scheme. There are four colors available and they are fantastic coolers to boot.

Black is ALWAYS good in my book. Check this one out:

UOk7ZVA.jpg
48OYUqm.png
fans_2.jpg

Supposedly the Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR sticks reach a height of 44mm or 46mm, which means that even with the bottom fan, they should fully clear on any slot.

Unfortunately, it may end up covering some of the memory sticks, however, this may not necessarily be a problem. The lights of the covered DIMMs will likely still be visible through the heatsink fins (at certain angles) and spinning fan. This shroud may even offer a potentially attractive visual overlay effect. I'm not necessarily trying to make the RAM lights shine brightly as a centerpiece saying "HEY LOOK AT ME." Rather I want them to be part of the scenery, and they do not have to stand out in any strong way. In fact, it would be disappointing if they stood out in such a way. Visible but subtle is definitely not a bad thing. Sure the DIMMs may not be visible at all if running the system in a brightly lit room, but who the hell does that anyway?? :D

Following image from a review @ http://www.legitreviews.com/quiet-dark-rock-tf-cpu-cooler-review_166061/3

be-quiet-Dark-Rock-TF-30.jpg

It performs very well and has the fan facing the window, and easily replaceable by anything which I like.

The heatsink/motherboard mounting system is a complete nightmare :D

My time/energy is quite limited until Fri/Sat. Over time I shall delve into more of this thread/responses!

Very nice Knoober. I may need to grab one of these for my next project, budget pending of course.

budget pending of course.

Yeah they aren't the cheapest, but I cant complain about the performance. There *are* otger coolers with the same performance in a same/lower price bracket, but nobe are as cool looking :D The only reason Im sporting one is because they went on sale @ PPCs a while back. Even with shipping it only came to about 35 USD. I really kind of wish I had gotten a second one while the getting was good.

Say it with me now: me-ga-hal-ems. Megahalems. Prolimatech Megahalems is pretty, has color choices, and does a fair job of cooling if mine is any indicator. Also does not block the ran slots on my board, ymmv of course.

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=155

Not only does it have great performance, but it doesn't take up much room in terms of RAM blocking and it's easy to clip on two 120mm fans. Most importantly it also comes in BLACK. This is definitely getting added to the list.

Just one thing to consider: in these days of low-voltage RAM there is no reason to buy RAM with coxcombs. I buy nothing but ULP (ultra-low profile) RAM because I can mount a 140mm fan over it.

Indeed, I'm not a fan of heightened RAM myself. It is too bad, because back in the "old days" of DDR 3, there was some light-up RAM with a whole row of naked LEDs on top which would flash in patterns based on DIMM activity. I picked out some for my friend's system. It was amazing. Its profile was no higher than any normal sticks would be.

Now all we have are these ultra-heightened, plastic shrouded LED abominations who's only saving grace is that they light patterns and colors can be controlled... but they can't be made to indicate the DIMM activity. How far we've come in these days of DDR 4.

Back