• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1/2 Of My Memory Bandwidth Is Missing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FastFSB

Last friday I built my athlon 64 3400+ system(v8t800 chipset, gigabyte board, 1.5GB of mushkin ddr433) and benchmarked it. My memory bandwith was somewhere around 3.2GBPS in Sandra and now I am showing 1.7GBPS! The problem is not in sandra as I reformatted my HD yesterday and had to reinstall Sandra. My pcmark 04 score is 3434, which is about 1000 points lower than it should be too. Any ideas on why I only have 1/2 of the memory bandwidth I should?

i dont know much about amd stuff, but it sounds like u put in 3 512 sticks of ram.i always thought to run in dual channel u have to run matched pairs (2 or 4) if so wouldnt that knock u out of dual channel and the motherboard only run at single channel?

flapperhead said:
i dont know much about amd stuff, but it sounds like u put in 3 512 sticks of ram.i always thought to run in dual channel u have to run matched pairs (2 or 4) if so wouldnt that knock u out of dual channel and the motherboard only run at single channel?
The K8T800 is SINGLE channel so thats not the problem but thanks.

I took out DIMM #3 and now it runs at normal speed... I would like to be able to use all my memory but not at ddr 200 speeds. Any suggestions?

if the mb slows down with a third stick, maybe a bios issue? sounds like its reconizing it as a much slower stick than the other 2 and running all 3 at that speed.

FastFSB said:
Last friday I built my athlon 64 3400+ system(v8t800 chipset, gigabyte board, 1.5GB of mushkin ddr433) and benchmarked it. My memory bandwith was somewhere around 3.2GBPS in Sandra and now I am showing 1.7GBPS! The problem is not in sandra as I reformatted my HD yesterday and had to reinstall Sandra. My pcmark 04 score is 3434, which is about 1000 points lower than it should be too. Any ideas on why I only have 1/2 of the memory bandwidth I should?

your doing something wrong cuz that intel killer is scoring a bit less than my 5800 in pcmark04..try chipset install....

I installed the mobo/chipset drivers. The problem is that when the third DIMM slot is occupied, the memory bandwidth drops by 50%. Otherwise the system works fine.

As far as I know, none of the A64 boards support anything higher than pc2700 speeds if all three dim slots are used. In order to attain pc3200 speeds or better you'll be limited to two slots (1+2 or 1+3 not 2+3).

Back