• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uberto

Hello :)

I want to upgrade my system and start overclocking, so I need some advice on what to get. I want to make my computer pretty oc-friendly so I won't have too much trouble when I try my hand at overclocking.

My current system:

Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0ghz
MSI KT4VL (133x15)
512 Corsair XMS pc3200
Radeon 9700pro
SB Audigy
80gig Western Digital /w 8meg cache HD
16x DVD player
40x12x48 CD-RW
Xaser II case /w side window
5 Thermaltake case fans, AMD Stock HSF (My comp sounds like a rocket ;) )

I have some money that's burning a hole in my pocket so what would you do if you could spend ~$400 on my rig?

I'm thinking of getting one of those dual channel ddr motherboards and another stick of 512 pc3200. I definitely need a better HSF... Please help me choose!

Motherboard: Abit NF7-S version 2.0

RAM: Sounds like a plan

Heatsink: Looking towards the future here :) Thermalright SLK900A

HSF: Vantec tornado (this will make your stock HSF sound like a whisper in the wind without a fan controller :D )

Fan controller: Vantec Nexus NXP-201

NF7-S 2.0

Another stick of Corsair to match the one you already have.

SP-97 with a Panaflo

A bigger HD

This should eat up that 400 :)

yea that nf7, ram, heatsink (SP97), but instead of getting a bigger hd i would get like a barton 2500+ or something

btw Welcome to the Forums

NF7 2.0 is a solid choice of a mobo.

As for the RAM I highly suggest you look @ Mushkin's 222 Special:

Vantec tornado (this will make your stock HSF sound like a whisper in the wind without a fan controller )

Im using a nado on a controller. I wouldnt call it quiet, just a dull roar when on silent mode. However full blast is almost unbearable without headphones ;)

Well here is what I'm thinking so far:

ABIT nForce2 NF7-S ver.2 $100
Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ Barton $98
Corsair XMS 512MB PC3200 $153
Thermalright SP-97 $48

For the Barton 2500 I should get the mobile version right? Or is it not worth the ~$20 more than the desktop version?

I'm leaning towards getting a Tornado and possibly a Nexus controller. I have the Thermaltake controller that came with my Xaser II but it's not hooked up right now so I'll have to test it to make sure it still works...

push the 2400 first with the new mobo, then decide if its worth your while to get the mobiles, unless you can burn ~100 bucks like its paper. tbred b cores overclock well.

hmmm you're probably right, I should see how high I can get my current cpu. I'm settled on getting the Tornado and a new fan controller since mine isn't working. We will see just how loud that monster fan really is :)

Back