• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a 2.8C...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trilix

Registered
Are 2.8Cs decent for overclocking or would a 3.0C be better? I don't know which to buy...

Depends a lot on what RAM you have (or planning on buying) and your budget. The 2.8C is a good overclocker and is not only a little cheaper, but you can use cheaper PC3200 RAM with the 5:4 memory ratio. Both will generally O/C to about the same top speed (on average). If you are set on using the 1:1 ratio, then PC4000 is a good match for the 2.8C also.

Ok, I was planning on buying PC3200 RAM anyway, so that's good to hear. Specifically, I think I'll be buying Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPT. What do you think about using that with the 2.8C?

Also, what does it mean to overclock with a 1:1 or 5:4 ratio? Is that CPU speed to RAM speed???

Trilix said:
Ok, I was planning on buying PC3200 RAM anyway, so that's good to hear. Specifically, I think I'll be buying Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPT. What do you think about using that with the 2.8C?

Also, what does it mean to overclock with a 1:1 or 5:4 ratio? Is that CPU speed to RAM speed???

Thats exactly it ;) It's a devider to keep memory stable and within it's operating range.

2.00 = 1:1
1.66 = 5:4
1.33 = 3:2

Back