• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P3 or Celeron upgrade best value?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zorom

Registered
I'm going to upgrade my system and am considering an 800MHz processor.
What is the general opinion these days of the P3 vs. the Celeron at this speed? Is the P3 worth the extra dollars? My use is primarily video editing (casual) and gaming.

Celey 533@850
S370-DL adaptor
P3V4X mobo
128 MB 133 RAM
Alpha cooler

The celeron can definetly hold its own in gaming (very close to a P3 of equal speed), but in video editing the P3 would be the better choice.

Right now a P3 1ghz (cD0) would be the best choice. As long as your hardware can handle the high fsb's you can get your computer to around 1200 with around 1.9v. Get a really good heatsink, here are some really good prices.....

www.svcompucycle.com

The second best option for you, would be to get the Celeron II 800 cD0. I only hear good things about these cpu's. I have even heard of one get to 1200 air cooled. I have never heard of one NOT hitting 1ghz.

GOOD Luck!

I agree with Carmine_Paterno.

Go with the P III if you can afford the few extra dollars. If you're looking for a good OC'able chip, shop around for a 700 E. Most make it above the gig mark with the right hardware to compliment it.

For the best bang for the buck you can always shop around for a used P3. For example last week I picked up a used P3 500e for $25 from a local comp store. They had no use for it and just wanted to make it go away, lucky for me :) I put it in a micro atx board in a baby case. The purpose is for a small machine that I can hook up in my A/V system for mp3's and video capture(put in a ATI All In Wonder) Right now it is running very nicely at 700mhz and still with stock voltage. The fsb is at 140 and that is as high as the micro board will go. One day I will have to test the cpu in a real board and see what it will do.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think you've convinced me to go with the P3. I can remember just two years ago that it was unheard of in the overclocking world to pick a P2 over a Celeron. I guess Intel has increased the performance difference between the two.

Now I find that it's difficult to find a P3 at 100MHz. Can't even find one on eBay!

Back