• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chance of Bagging a 3.0c(SL6WU) from Frys???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scroatdog

Hello all. New to the forums, but long-time reader. Specs are in my sig. I'm currently running the 3.0c SL6WK. Got it when the 3.0c first came out, so I paid about 400 bucks to be on the bleeding edge......

Anyhow, this thing is not a great overclocker. My memory passes 233 FSB in memtest no prob, as it should. I'm getting Prime95 errors at anything over 230 FSB. I'm watercooled, so that MAY be why I am even able to get to 230 on this chip. Core voltage is at 1.575 because of Abit undervolting, vDimm is at 2.8, AGP is at 1.6

I'm wondering if it is worth it to try to bag one of these SL6WU 3.0's at Fry's or something. I checked E-Bay but couldn't find anything. I don't know if the people at Fry's would look around and take the time to find the SL6WU and look at the pack date and all that stuff.

Should I just be happy with what I have??? I know I've got more headroom on this computer. NB isn't watercooled, but I did remove the heatsink, cleaned that bubblegum junk off and applied AS3.

Suggestions????

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to head over to Fry's tomorrow to see if they have any. I need to re-read some of these threads and write down the FPO/batch number and pack date of the ones that did well.

I'm wondering if buying another 3.0c to replace mine is worth it or not. Of course it would allow me to get more out of my system (if the chip does indeed have a high o/c potential).

you wont get the same batch number as the person who already has that batch number...plus none of that really matter...you just gotta hope you hit a homerun with the cpu you get...not much as in hope but as in a good OCer put it that way...anything else you wanna kno

racpuc said:
bump your vcore to 1.65 and see what that chip can do

Thanks for your reply. Ok, here's what I have found:

Ambient temp: 20c
Idle temp: 33c
Load: 44c
vdimm 2.8
vAGP 1.6

Idle & load temps from MBM5, minus 10 degress because of Abit's high temp reporting. I have no thermal sensors yet.

Increased vCore to 1.65, set mem ratio to 5:4 to take the memory out of the equation. Booted into Windows at 240 FSB 5:4, ran Prime for about 30 minutes, no problems. Windows seemed a little sluggish to get to the desktop, though. The temps I have listed above were during this test. At lower FSB and vcores my typical idle and load temps were 29c/38c. The Prime95 test I used was the middle one, the one where "some" memory is used, but maximum heat is generated.

Ok, rebooted, went into BIOS and changed the memory ratio to 1:1. I figured the memory could handle it easily. Going from 466 to 480 should be no problem for this memory. Couldn't get though the first test in Prime95. I am going to run memtest later today at 240 FSB, but I have a feeling I won't find any problems. Right now I'm at 233 FSB 1:1, left the vcore at 1.65. I'm going to run Prime. This is the memory's rated speed. I haven't messed with the timings, either.

One thing I am wondering is if it is worth the extra heat, having to raise the vcore in order to clock higher. From the sound of it, people with these SL6WU's are getting high FSB with stock vcore for the most part.

I need to go run some errands, so I'm going to Prime it at 233 FSB 1:1 while I'm gone.

For those of you scoring at home, here is my CPU's info:

Product code: BX80532PG3000DSL6WK
MM #: 852371
FPO/BATCH #: L308a676
PACK DATE: 03/28/03

Don't know if these are good results for this chip. Like I said, if I can go higher with less vcore then I'm willing to buy another chip.

Thoughts??

One Thing I Forgot!!!!!

Something I forgot to mention on my other posts......

I am using a USB keyboard and USB mouse. I'm pretty sure I've got USB legacy selected in the BIOS.

Will this hamper my overclock??? I thought I remembered reading something about using USB/PS2 adapters on keyboard and mice to get better overclocks. I don't remember where I saw it, whether it was on this board, ABXZone, or the Abit forums.

I'm going to try to do a google search on this and see what I can find, unless someone here has the answer???:D

There used to be an issue using Memtest86 with the Legacy USB on Auto or Enabled in the BIOS, but recent revisions of Memtest have fixed that bug. That's the only issue involving Legacy USB that I know of, but there may be others.

Scroatdog said:
Idle & load temps from MBM5, minus 10 degress because of Abit's high temp reporting.
That made me laugh... In reality, Abit's temps are closer to real (still low though) than all other board Mfgr's.

Thanks for the replies.

As far as my temps go, let me believe they're 10c cooler than reported !!! LOL:p

Ok, I think my thread has strayed a bit from the orignial question of whether ot not I should try to get a SL6WU from Fry's instead of keeping the 3.0c I have now.

I am getting errors in Prime95 at 233FSB. I am using version 23.8.1

Under the torture tests, there are the four options: "Small FFT's" (Max FPU stress), "In-PLace Large FFT's" (max het, some memory used), and "Blend" (tests some of everything, lots of memory used).

The ONLY test that has returned error-free is the first one, the Small FFT's. Using the In-Place Large FFT's or Blend the test stops after about 2 or three passes. I can't figure it out. This is with a 1.65 vCore and I just got done using memtest86 to test the memory at 233 FSB which is it's native speed anyway. The memory passed with flying colors. Ran for over an hour with no errors, then I looped test 5 and still nothing.

So I am thinking this CPU isn't going to go much further...... or maybe the northbridge is getting too hot???? I did replace the stock compound with AS3.

Any ideas on the failing P95????? Will I be going to Fry's to look for an SL6WU???

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Yeah,

I've seen countless posts from people saying a 7-10c disparity....

Anyhow...... does anyone think grabbing a 3.0c SL6WU is worth it, after all of the info I have posted on this thread concerning my current SL6WK???

SL6WU's seem to be getting good reviews about their overclockability and I'm sure the people at Fry's would dig a little for you. The people at Microcenter didn't give me any problems about finding an SL6Z5 2.8C. I know the microcenter here has them, because I saw 'em - didn't wanna pay the price though and I have other plans than going for max GHz..

Well,

Fry's turned out to be a bust..... They didn't have ANY OEM SL6WU's on hand. Didn't bother checking the retail versions, though. I don't think the people at Fry's knew what I was talking about. I had to show them on the chip where to look for teh SL6WU, after they had brought me an SL6WK. I had them go back into "the cage" and check every OEM 3.0c they had. Alas, no SL6WU. It was nice of them to do that for me, but I didn't get the warm and fuzzy that they understood what I was looking for and why.....

Oh well.... Maybe I'll order online from Newegg and take my chances.

Scroatdog said:
Well,

Fry's turned out to be a bust..... They didn't have ANY OEM SL6WU's on hand. Didn't bother checking the retail versions, though.

The SL6WU is retail boxed only. No such thing as an OEM SL6WU. I've bought 3 of them from Fry's in the last couple weeks and all 3 did from 3.6 to 3.8 GHz on air at 1.6 vcorr. And yes, they will look for you. Great store.

Last edited:
FredR said:

The SL6WU is retail boxed only. No such thing as an OEM SL6WU. I've bought 3 of them from Fry's in the last couple weeks and all 3 did from 3.6 to 3.8 GHz on air at 1.6 vcorr. And yes, they will look for you. Great store.

:eek: any for sale?

FredR said:

Wow. Wish I had known that before I went down there! LOL

I guess I'll be going back to Fry's tomorrow.

Thanks for the head's up.

I wish that question had been answered before I placed my order to NewEgg - about WUs only being retail. How did you find that out? Now I feel sick, since I ordered OEM.

Back