• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I found the holy grail of cooling! 7deg C drop with stock HSF!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karsten

Registered
OK, this was so simple someone else should have thought of it by now. All I did was to mount a spare 60mm fan on the side of my heatsink blowing through the fins. It's just the stock heatsink that came w/ my 2500 Barton. Load temps are now 43, they were 50 at 210x11. This is with the stock HSF!! Try it!

Karsten

ps, a pic:
fan2.jpg

Last edited:
hehe nice, i guess it works if you don't have enough money for a nice slk. Im sure you could do the same with an SLK and get even better temps with that, with out with out the 60mm on the side

Nice find though. Not sure how permanent of a solution it would be...

yeah i was wondering what it could do w/ a good heatsink. just drill a few small holes for wire in the heatsink and wire it on, i've done that before, probably will do for this one too.

karsten

this might be something too try =D. i have my smart fan 2 lying around, should see if a sf2+ tornado will keep my chip even colder with this sk7. it makes sense, since air will try to escaped in the easist manner it can. but if you kind of help it along, but blowing away from your heatsink, it stands to reason that the heat could be conducted more efficiantly.

should try it with some cardboard ducting. but with really high cfm fans, it might be a bit of a bottleneck.

i did the same thing with my stock 2800 heatsink

i took a 80mm alm fan and hooked that to the top of the heatsink and then took the stock amd fan and put it on the side and it droped about 10'c . its a cool easy mod just got to have a extra fan laying around

yeah, some. the fan i'm using at least is a really fast 8k rpm fan from a tbred and its pretty loud. i have it turned pretty low using 8rdavcore though. a bigger fan might not be as bad.

karsten

which way are y'all putting the 2nd fan?

this is like having a push/pull fan setup on a rad. (if your putting the fan so it sucks the air out of the bottom of the HS)

what if you had 3 fans: (if 2 is better than 1, 3 must be GREAT) 1 blowing down and the 2 "side" fans pulling...

Joe Camel said:
more of my "paint skillz":

thats's a good idea. wonder if 1 down, and the 2 side ones going teh same direction would be good too? i can't on mine b/c of some capacitors on the other side in the way.

ya i think 2 push 1 pull; since the fins are assumed (by design) to alow flow in both directions, and you then force it all to go 1 direction, adding a little negative preasure to the other side could help quit a bit.

this also helps dead zones under the fan core, altho there are 2 dead cylinders of air, 2 cylinders of air flow across/thru each dead zone...can you pic that? or should i whip out some skilz on you:rolleyes:

edit: ps id give that a try, but it was hard enough to fit ONE 80CFM (edit 85!!) blower in my case:cool: (but with a duct running....i must be nuts;) )

Last edited:
Back