• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock vs 212+ 3570k temp logs v2 (UPDATED with undervoltage and pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EpicMango

These are the temp logs of my specific cooling differences that resulted from switching from Arctic Silver 5 on the stock heatsink that is provided with the Intel i5 3570k processor to the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler also using Arctic Silver 5. I am running the setup listed in my signature in a NZXT Tempest Evo, which has 6 fans pre-installed on the case. Because of this, my differences may be different than yours.

Here is a showcase of my rigs cooling setup. Unlike most people, I have my 212+ set to push air up for a couple reasons. Physics dictates that hot air rises up, and because of this, its more natural in my case, with its 2 140mm top exhaust fans, that I have the cooler oriented to push air out of the top of my case. Your case may not have this luxury, so make sure you orient you 212+ where you have exhaust fans available
001-6.jpg
002-5.jpg
004-5.jpg
006-2.jpg
^^If you seriously want to couple G Skill series ram with the outragous heatsinks and a 212+, you might want to rethink your decision^^

Total cooling:
2 120mm intake fans up front
1 120mm intake side fan
2 140mm exhaust fans on top
1 120mm rear exhaust fan
1 120mm CPU push fan with another planned 120mm fan for push pull.

I will be using Core Temp to get CPU temp readings while doing a 15 minute Prime95 Blend stress test @ 100% cpu usage. Ambient room temperature is around 83-85 degree's

Stock HFS + Arctic Silver 5

Idle

Load

Cooler Master 212+ (push) + Arctic Silver 5

Idle

Load

Load temp drops 212+ vs stock
#1) 23
#2) 21
#3) 23
#4) 25

And this much on idle
#1) 11
#2) 9
#3) 9
#4) 10

Undervolting my 3570k from 1.1v to .93v gave me a substantial drop in temps as well! .93v was the lowest I could go while remaining stable in Prime95. You may be able to go lower, you may not be able to. Make sure to test your stablilty of your undervoltage or overvoltages with Prime95.

Undervolted i5 3570k @ .93v + Cooler Master 212+ (push) + Arctic Silver 5

Load

Total load temp drops after undervoltage vs Stock

AMAZING temp decreases if I say so myself. I shall be doing a final segment to this log which is the addition of a second fan on the 212+ to initiate a push/pull sequence. I shall report back with temps once I have received the fan.

Last edited:
Psh, these temps are nothing. I undervolted my 3570k to .92 ( thats as low as I can go stable) and I've dropped another 13-16c under load! My hottest core never goes past 50c under load now ;)

I might take out my 212+ and check out how well my AS5 applied, and see if I can do better. I don't know if I want to, because the temps I am getting now are just wonderful ^_^

Whats awesome is my side intake fan gives air to both my GPU and my CPU. The side intake fan directly cools my heatpipes on the GPU. With my CPU fan set, I basically suck cold air from the side intake fan into the Hyper 212+. With 1 more 120mm pull fan set, it will basically push in cold air into the hyper 212+ and pull it out to the 2 top 140mm's on top.

I wasn't expecting this much cooling, but god damn I am happy with it, even if its loud (I think its dead quiet, my old Xeon Server was atleast 4-5 times louder when the CPU fans spun up during 100% cpu load which was often)

Last edited:
Nice work! Did you downclock the cpu along with the undervoltage?

Nope. I am still clocked at 3.4Ghz on all cores. However it doesn't seem like I have turboboost, so during load I'm stuck at 3.4Ghz all the time, instead of 3.6Ghz, but thats fine because then only time I reach 100% CPU usage is stressing in Prime95

Looks good.
I have the 212 EVO and I can't hear the fan even while I'm folding.
And like you I am happy with the cooling performance.

OP can you link me to your circuit-board wallpaper? I love it!

Last edited:
I am re-ressurecting this thread for a third and final time.

I am going to be doing a temp log update with a push pull setup on the 212+ with the same stock fans. I'm pretty sure a lot of people want to find out what the real world temperature different is between push, and push pull and I'm here to find out! I will most likely report findings @ 1.1v on the processor, as thats what most people are going to be running their processor on. But fear not, I shall be reverting to .93 and give temp differences vs 1.1

Also, I have made this temp log a lot more organized, more detailed and color coded so people who want to find the information without all the blah blah blah, can.

I made this thread for anybody that is wondering what happens when they get their 212+, so if you encounter a question relating to it, point them to this thread, as it provides 3 different scenarios. Enjoy :D

Have you gotten the new info? I know with my old Xiggy S1283 adding the extra 120x38mm loud fan(so push/pull w/ 2 big fans) only netted me like 2C difference. Only running 1 120x38mm fan on my new 3570K still using the S1283

Also on yours have you tried mounting your HSF so it blows towards the rear? Just seems like there is no room to get clean air sucking hot air from the vid card

Last edited:
Back