• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Plant Code "5"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zork

Just got my hands on a 2.4C, it says China on the heat spreader?? I have seen a few other members with chips that say China, very few but what confuses me even more is the plant code is 5. I have searched the forum, googled everything imaginable, but no luck. Only reference I have seen to a plant code 5 was another post here on the forum, and someone stated that they had read it to be Tiawan, but couldnt find where they had read that. Anyways heres the chips steppings, my IC7 should be here by this weekend so we will see then how she does.

SL6WF CHINA
5334A783

Thnx

LOL, it was probably my old-assed post about choosing between one 2.4B and another. We did figure out later that it WAS China, but never had any more info :(

It overclocked OK for a D1 stepping, but nothing spectacular. In fact, it actually hit 3.2ghz / 1.65v for about four months and then started degrading... It ended up doing 3ghz 1.6v in the end :( That same motherboard ran a 1.8A at 2.85ghz on 1.6v for like a year before that 2.4 chip, so I think it really was just a bum chip.

Don't know if it was related to the stepping (SL6PC) or the plant of just bad luck, nor will I probably ever know. Right before I sold that rig, I traded that 2.4B for an SL6RZ Malay "Q" that did 3ghz on stock voltage. The SL6PC went back to doing stock duty in a Dell somewhere...

I've found a ton of them OEM in Dells... But only the 2.4B variety; I haven't seen any of the 800FSB chips from China. But that's mostly because I'm not looking ;)

5 means they're from Intel's assembly and test site in Shanghai. There is nothing particularly rare about chips from that site, other than that most of that plant's volume probably gets sold domestically in China.

A lot of the early 2.60Cs were from China. Some are good, some not. I have one 2.60C from China and it does 270 fsb or 3.51 gig at 1.68 volts on air on a bad board. Another China 2.60C I tried maxed out at 3.35. Guys might kill for these chips nowadays, with the 2.60Cs maxing out at 3.25.

Wow, thanks for the input guys. Just curios Nookie, but where did you obtain that info, I've searched all over with no luck. I will know soon enough whether this chips a keeper or not.

Thnx

Back