• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

most noob friendly hardware firewall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RuKK

Hey guys, a friend of mine who is not capable of really setting up a router correctly let alone a firewall wants to secure his network, so I'm wondering if a hardware firewall is the way to go.. If this is the case, it would be installed between his dsl modem and router? Also, whats the simplest you can go setup wise while maintaining some functionality? Thanks,

-RuKK

I have experience with linksys SOHO routers at work. From there, it was pretty much plug-n-play as far as I can tell. And yes, you drop it between the DSL cat5 line (uplink port) and the computer (any other port).

Also, whats the simplest you can go setup wise while maintaining some functionality?
Not sure I understand that. I guess the simplest is one cable to your router, and one cable to your computer. That's as simple as it gets unless you skip the router entirely.

Edit: Also, if you want simplicity, skip wireless and go hard-wired. Somebody is going to come in and swear I'm wrong, but after being in tech for this long, all the router issues I hear about involve wireless routers, not hard-wired.

Here is a list of linksys routers, if you want to read further on them:
http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=29

he has a d-link router which works fine, but not for security.. needs a good hardware firewall which is easy to configure. By maintaining functionality I meant one that was still secure :) Thank you for your reply,

-RuKK

RuKK said:
he has a d-link router which works fine, but not for security.. needs a good hardware firewall which is easy to configure. By maintaining functionality I meant one that was still secure :) Thank you for your reply,

-RuKK

HUH? I have a dlink router and it supplies all the security for my 10 pc's behind it. No fus no mus, done period, nothing gets thru unless I tell it to. (ex ssh, http, ftp etc) The router has an external IP address and translates to internal, private IP addresses that are not reachable from the internet. This is called NAT, network address translation, and is the basis of all soho routers. The router IS a hardware firewall.

Back