• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a stupid question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alnorth

Registered
ok, got some parts to build my new computer today. My old computer never had additional case fans, but I decided to get a few for my new case.

One problem, the holes on the case fans where the screws are supposed to go in are totally smooth, the screws simply wont fit. I briefly tried to dig in with force and screw them in to create my own grooves, but the pressure required to do that would probably break the fan.

Its not a dud fan, every one of my case fans are like that. My case came with 2 fans pre-installed, and the unused side of the fans also had smooth holes, but the screw holes being used on those pre-installed fans had grooves in them.

Is there something simple and obvious im missing here?

VAdept said:
Those screws are made to dig into the metal and or plastic, you shouldnt hurt anything screwing them in.

My 120mm fan from SVC was like this. Don't be afraid to use some brute force to get those screws in. I had to put some major torque on the screws to get them all the way into that 120mm fan. Just make sure you're putting adequate downforce on the screwdriver, though. You wouldn't want to strip any screws. Predrilled/prethreaded holes would be nice, though.

And alnorth, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!! This forum is here for the sharing of information. Don't be afraid to ask questions :) The only "stupid" question asked is the question that's never asked (as the saying goes).

most the screws are self tapping screws , some can be hard getting in. ive had the fan flex so bad i thought it was gonig to crack in half, one nice thing is there only had the first time.

I had the same problem with my 80mm coolermaster fans. I thought they gave me the wrong screws because they would not fit, so i just got my portable drill, and screwed them in, and that worked really well. So just use one of them, and your not going to strip the screws, i think they make them really tight to make sure there is less noise, if the fan starts to vibrate or something.

Back