• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little confused by terminology.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazy Jayhawk

I've been looking to replace my PIII with a faster one (going from 500 Mhz to 1 Ghz probably) and I'm a bit confused by a term I keep seeing.

Pentium III FCPGA.

Does that acronym at the end mean it fits in a Socket 370?

Crazy Jayhawk said:
Thanks. :)

That means it'll fit in my mobo without any modification. :D

You might wanna check to make sure your board supports the flip chip (FC) first. If it's a bit older, you may be out of luck. They're both 370 pins, but the pinout is different from the older PPGA. If you're not sure and can't find info on the web, post your board type in the Motherboards section and someone will be able to tell you.

Godfodda said:

You might wanna check to make sure your board supports the flip chip (FC) first. If it's a bit older, you may be out of luck. They're both 370 pins, but the pinout is different from the older PPGA. If you're not sure and can't find info on the web, post your board type in the Motherboards section and someone will be able to tell you.

Hmmmm... I thought all of the early "Katmai" P/// chips were of the slot variety, and the first P/// "flip-chips" (FC-PGA) were the 600E Coppermines.

Am I missing on this one?? Thought all P/// Katmai's were slot 1....

Mr B

Mr. B

There were some 550E Coppermine chips, I just checked the intel specs sheet. I thought so too, but aparently there were a few made... as far back as 500 it appears. Learn something new everyday, whether I like it or not ;) .

I wasn't even thinking about the 500 being a slot 1. Somehow I always think that everything has been socketed, and forget that slot CPUs were ever made. That's what happens when you take a few years off. Guess I'm gonna have to build me a slot setup so I won't forget. :D

I checked the specs for my mobo and it looks like it's compatible with the PIII Flip chip. If all else fails, it has both S370 and Slot 1 connectors on it. I could get a slotket and still use the chip if it doesn't work out.

Back