• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VGA silencer and K7d Master HELP!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rxtrom

I am useing the K7d master and i just installed my 9800np w/ the Vga silencer on it and it blocks a whole 64pci and almost another. (The one i was going to put my LSIu160 in for my SCSI drive:( Now i do not know what to do i did not recieve the card yet (lsiu160) so i can't try it out, but i can see that it will block the fan partially. I know if i move the SCSI controler card to a 32 PCI it lags so i don't want that.
Does anyone use the VGA silence on this board, and use one 64pci slot too?
If not what do some of you use for cooling on your 9800's i like the fact that the VGA silencer kicks out alot of hot air
Please help me thanks

rxtrom said:
I am useing the K7d master and i just installed my 9800np w/ the Vga silencer on it and it blocks a whole 64pci and almost another. (The one i was going to put my LSIu160 in for my SCSI drive:( Now i do not know what to do i did not recieve the card yet (lsiu160) so i can't try it out, but i can see that it will block the fan partially. I know if i move the SCSI controler card to a 32 PCI it lags so i don't want that.
Does anyone use the VGA silence on this board, and use one 64pci slot too?
If not what do some of you use for cooling on your 9800's i like the fact that the VGA silencer kicks out alot of hot air
Please help me thanks

It depends how badly it blocks the fan. Perhaps have a quiet 80mm hooked up above the video card as well, just in case?

Will a SCSI controler card work in the 32bit slot? will the SCSI require more bandwidth than the board can provide on the 32 bit slot

Don't use a SCSI controller in a 32 bit slot.

I have used that VGA cooler, you're talking about, so I know what you're going through. I didn't use it in an AMD dually, but I know it will blow one PCI slot. I think the fan will get enough air, though, even with the SCSI controller in the other 64 bit slot. That fan doesn't suck a lot of air (on the low speed, which is what I recommend). It doesn't need much clearance, I don't think.\

Try it out, hold your hand over the exhaust, and make sure there is some air coming out, then stop worrying...

(by the way, you can improve that cooler a bit by using a strip of duct tape to extend the duct all the way to the PCI exhaust slot. For some reason, on the one I had, there was a 1/2" gap between the duct and the hole the air was supposed to exhaust out of. This would be very bad in a low pressure case, because the heat would effectively get sucked back into the case, instead of exhausting out of it.)

Thanks for the tip, I am trying a piece of small weather stripping right now, it locks the air to go right out of the case. I 'll give the card a try, I figure i can get more gain in performace using SCSI instead of the VGA silencer. Thanks,

any more sugestions ?

I think 32bit PCI has a bandwith of around 133MB/s. A few SCSI drives will easily saturate that.

David said:
I think 32bit PCI has a bandwith of around 133MB/s. A few SCSI drives will easily saturate that.

On the 760MPX chipset, it is even worse. It has a latency issue which strangles the bandwidth of the 33 MHz, 32 PCI slots down to about 40 MB/s.

cmcquistion said:

On the 760MPX chipset, it is even worse. It has a latency issue which strangles the bandwidth of the 33 MHz, 32 PCI slots down to about 40 MB/s.

Ah of course, because the 64bit bus is the primary bus or something...

ok so I will try to fit the SCSI controler card under the AC cooler
I still want to run into someone who has this similar setup as me and hear what they did

Back