• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lets hear it for cohesive air cooling!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PDL

:D
That must be the reason I am able to run high FSB now and I wasn't able to earlier. It could be the video card, or the HDD or the chipset...something!
Cooling the entire iside of the case is proving to be VERY effective!
Before, I would get lockups at 9.5 * 130, but now it is stable as a rock.
Temps at 45c at idle or while working.
I get more noise from vibration than anything and that's cause the blower is out of balance. Gonna fix that when I tear it all down again when I get my SK6 and leave off the delta fan...then I should see some serious cooling!!

A7V133 AVIA"Y" 200FSB HCACw/Taisol aluminum HS
It's Happy..Happy!

:p

Would you get the same condensation problem on a liquid cool system if you cooled the liquid too much before it went to the waterblock?
I would think that the lines would begin to sweat.
I can remember when I used to work on water wells and in the humid air the pipes coming out of the well would sweat like crazy. Wouldn't want something like that inside the case!
I agree that the closer we can get to room temp the better.
Although having the entire system inside a closed environment that is designed to extract the heat and the humidity....................
is another brainstorm!!

I have been using my huge blower for about 3 months now and look at my temps!! see sig. That is a great way to cool!!

ok I dont think you guys get how most people water cool. When you use a radiator the lowest posible temperature that you can get is the exact same temp as the air moving through the radiator. So if the air moving through the radiator is room temp then there will be no condensation. The reason why water wells would sweat is because the water in a well is much cooler than ambient because its in the ground.

Ok quick lesson on condensation. Air can only hold so much water vapor and at higher temps it can hold more. Condensation ocurs when a cold object (like a glass of cold water or any liquid or infact anything cold at all) comes incontact with air. The air is cooled to a point where it can no long hold the same amount of water. This water collects on the cool surface. Pipes dont "sweat" they just have water collect on them.

Most people dont cool the water in thier water cooling system (at least not to the point where it would cause condensation) The people that have concerns with water cooling and condensation are the guys that use pelts. In this setup you need to seal of your pelt, cpu, and cold plate. The water is actualy heated up by the pelt so there is no consern for condensation on the water lines.

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to make sure you guys were all on the same page.

Mord-Sith said:
you get condensation conserns with this. I think we should shoot for room temp.

Nope. Most of the condensation would have happened when the air is being chilled. The CPU and other mobo components will be cold, but not colder than the airstream that is cooling them and condensation happens only on surfaces colder than the air and with high enough humidity.

Mord-sith, with pre-chilled water going into and out of pelted 'blocks, condensation can still happen. The surface temp of the hose carrying the water just need to be lower than the saturation temp for the partial pressure of the water vapor. Anybody with chilled water rigs? I think I read a post about some attempt the last time...

I've found that the more room temp air pumped into the case, the cooler the case and cpu. It's volume of air that counts, whether it be a large blower, or many smaller fans (although a brace of 120mm fans is enough to make a light case take off lol!)

The aim is to acheive maximum airflow over (mainly) the cpu heatsink, to transfer the heat from the alloy to the air. Plus, if you live where I do, the maximum temp in the summer is rarely above 21-22 degrees Celcius, there is little need for water cooling or other exotic means for "everyday" overclocking.

As to water cooling, room temp water works better than air, as the water has a better heat transfer coefficent than air (it soaks up more heat faster, basically). Chilling the water supply below room temperature will encourage condensation to form on exposed cooled surfaces, so insulating the pipes (and water block) would help minimize the risk. But with water cooling, don't forget case ventilation. Still have fans moving the air inside the case, this will help reduce condensation build up as well.

Blah blah rant rant........my 2 cents....

dang, winter is allready headed our way here at Finland (north part of it) and I think I have a nasty case of flue allready. Outside temp is some 10C right now...

This gives me an idea. What if I put one radiator outside (of my house) and hose another radiator in to my box. Then circulate the air trough the radiator (in the case) would cool the air to outside temp at best. At winter Id need to use some of that anti-freeze stuff so that the hoses dont freeze... At best days I could get some -30C water into my case... Just how would the pump fair with that cold water. The radiator in the case would probably sweat so Id mount it under the case and make a hole into the case bottom and draw air trough there.

reddeathdrinker said:
I've found that the more room temp air pumped into the case, the cooler the case and cpu. It's volume of air that counts, whether it be a large blower, or many smaller fans (although a brace of 120mm fans is enough to make a light case take off lol!)

How about 7 120s? :D

I would like to respecfully disagree about water cooling. I think air can do just as good of a job if not better because if enough fans are blowing, the flow of new fresh air from the room I believe can be a better heat exchange than water in an enclosed system.

But thats just my 2 Cents :)

texmaster said:

How about 7 120s? :D

I would like to respecfully disagree about water cooling. I think air can do just as good of a job if not better because if enough fans are blowing, the flow of new fresh air from the room I believe can be a better heat exchange than water in an enclosed system.

But thats just my 2 Cents :)

I would like to respecfully disagree about air cooling, with any AMD chip, as I do not have personal experience with an O'clocked Intel. I run a stock 1 gig P3 at work that has a stock HSF, and it never gets hot.
Now at home is where I play and I've tried the best "air-cooling solutions (even a Box fan as the side cover :))
Water dropped me 40f over air
add a pelt, and "how low can you go", add 2+1 and it's an icy vacation spot :)

killem1x1 said:

I would like to respecfully disagree about air cooling, with any AMD chip, as I do not have personal experience with an O'clocked Intel. I run a stock 1 gig P3 at work that has a stock HSF, and it never gets hot.
Now at home is where I play and I've tried the best "air-cooling solutions (even a Box fan as the side cover :))
Water dropped me 40f over air
add a pelt, and "how low can you go", add 2+1 and it's an icy vacation spot :)

Peltiers are good but you are stepping into the condensation relm which can be a very dangerous place if you don't know what you are doing.

Personally, I never hit above 3C room temp even at full load. But as you stated, I've not tried one of the newer T-Birds. I know those little suckers get Damn hot :)

Back